Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Quick Question!!!

reedred

Reaction score
Hi! I´m traveling in Peru and fell in love with an Axolotl at a pet store. I´ve never owned (or even seen) one before, but I have experience with fish and will be able to handle caring for it based on what I´ve read so far.

I want to buy it and should be able to transport it safely, but don´t want any issues to come up when I get to US customs. Does anyone know if it´s OK for me to fly home with it? I´ll be flying into Dulles airport in Washington DC (Northern VA) if that matters.

I fly home tomorrow so there´s no way I can call Customs or the Fish and Wildlife Service to ask. If someone here with specific kowledge could give me an answer I´ll really appreciate it. Thanks!

Reed :happy:

IanF

Reaction score
Why not just wait till you get to the US to get one? They're readily available (perhaps not this time of year though). Transporting for that length of time wouldn't be very good for it and there is a chance it would die.

reedred

Reaction score
Are they that easy to find? I used to work in a pet store and never saw one.

IanF

Reaction score
They certainly are, just wait till spring and they'll be overflowing the for sale section on this site. Plus it would give you time to read up on them and find out what you'd need and how to care for them. Works out better in the end, just requires some patience. ;)

reedred

Reaction score
Duh! I should´ve thought to check out the for sale section. I shall wait and look for one when I get home. Thanks, Ian!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
In addition to the stress, axolotls are listed as CITES II and importing/exporting them without a CITES permit is illegal.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1