Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: My axolotl is sick does anyone know about sickness in axolotl

RATBAGKARLY

Reaction score
Hi wondering if someone might be able to help me. I own a Axolotl and have had him for about 12 years. Yes i know that is sure some time. So understandbly we are attached. He had gone off his food and stopped eating, i changed him water but still no better. Then sadly i noticed him floating on his back :( after a some tears my husband took him out and put him in a bowl of water and put him in the fridge thinking he would bury him on the weekend as he wanted to make sure he burried him deep enough for the dog not to dig him up. So 4 days later and we go to lay him to rest and he moves. What should i do now to enhance his chance for survival, just pop him back in his tank or keep him in the colder water. All my grieving for nothing!:confused:

kira

Reaction score
Keep him in the fridge and change his water daily with frresh dechlorinated water. Good Luck!!

Oh, forgot to mention, make sure that the water you use to do water changes is kept in the fridge so that it is the same temp as the water he is already in to avoid temperture shock. And, what was the tamp in your tank? It has been very hot here in Oz and he could be stressed?

Last edited:

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The fridge is a good move. Axolotls actually thrive in the fridge.

You should try to figure why the axolotl has gone off its food. Is it poor water quality (do you test your water quality)? What kind of filter do you have? Have there been any changes in its habitat? How warm is the tank? What kind of substrate do you have? What kind of food are you offering?

RATBAGKARLY

Reaction score
Thank you sooooo much to those 2 people who replied, i really appreciate the support!

kira

Reaction score
Oh dear, I am so sorry to hear about your loss.:(:(

However, your axie was quite old and sounds like you took very good care of him.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!