New to Newts :)

Gregh

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Greg
I'm completely new to newts but I bought this at a pet store as a "firebelly", I think it's Pachytriton labiatus from reviewing this site's information (I've looked through the stickies, there's some great information in here) but I'm not sure so here's some pictures:

SSPX0158.jpg

SSPX0157.jpg

SSPX0164.jpg

Here's a rock I had in there for him to climb but I felt it might be too coarse and rough for him, so i took it out
SSPX0166.jpg

And here's the worst idea i've ever had that followed :) it's an upside down fish bowl with rocks on top, i dont think he even fully understands that nature of it's existence, though he still hides behind it. Frankly I'm looking for a better solution.
SSPX0168.jpg

Also I'm in university right now, and live food just isn't a viable option. worms and crickets jsut wouldn't work out, I'm looking for frozen goods but i need a list of products or things that can be easily had that I can feed this little guy. Right now I have some betta food in the form of dehydrated blood worms they gave me at the store, but it seems inadequate. I'm likely going to pick up some tubifex tablets to give them a shot in a few minutes. I knwo a store I may be able to order things from so any suggestions for just plain DEAD newt food would be appreciated :) I'm more than willign to store frozen foods.

I figured I'd post this up as a general "i'm new, how can i avoid killing my little friend" thread to what seems to be the only real online group of knowledgeable newt owners. I have an algea eater in with him, but it's large and there's no way the newt will go after him, and he's been peaceful in return thus far, any comments on that are good too.

Looks like a Labiatus to me. For food most people feed them bloodworms, which can be frozen and are fairly easy to get.
I'd reccomend seperating the algae eater. All though it might seem harmless, there are horror stories about keeping newts with other animals. Check out this http://www.caudata.org/forum/showthread.php?t=48241

Hope this helps,
Ian

Ok I may have to drive the algae eater home this weekend then... I'm surprised, the algae eater is probably 4 times the size/weight of the newt but the writeup does say he can be aggressive...

Ok I may have to drive the algae eater home this weekend then... I'm surprised, the algae eater is probably 4 times the size/weight of the newt but the writeup does say he can be aggressive...
Sounds good Gregh. You'd be surprised what newts will do, I've seen my cousins paddle-tails bite at things 10 times the size of them, and by that I mean a rock. They're brain isn't quite so big as ours so you gotta give them a break when it comes to what they'll attack.

Did you buy some sort of agent to dechlorinate the water and set the PH right? If not, do not fret, you can buy what you need for less than $20 between the 2.

Buy a turkey baster. It is a big help for removing waste from the tank. Buy some tweezers, the longer the better, to help place food near the newt and wiggle it if it does not notice it.

I hated the idea of live food and did not want to handle it. I went to a local bait shop and bought a cup of smallish worms(“wigglers”) with a normal cup cover on top and some holes for air. I have not given them any new food and they are still alive, 12 days later, feeding the newts with them often. I think that is a viable foodsource for a dorm room, just make sure you don’t spill whatever container they are in. Worms are easy to hide and cheap enough that you can buy more if they die before you feed them to the newts. Just cut them in half first and remove them from the tank if the newt does not want it.

You can buy a pack with a few dozen cubes of frozen bloodworms, like the size of soup cubes, for less than $15, that will last you a while. Put them in a small cup with some tank water to dethaw them and there you go.

I'm not too into the whole idea of cutting up worms either, so I'll probably go with the cubes.

I picked up some "reptomin" from wally world but he doesn't seem too intrigued by floating food. At the moment in the tank i'm just using aqua plus but something for Ph, i'll look into that. I just got him a new place to live in there at wal-mart too, he likes it alot more.

P.S here's some pictures of the new house and "guppo" the placo.

file_1943.jpg

file_1942.jpg

file_1941.jpg

I thought the idea of cutting up worms would be beyond disgusting, it sounded really vile. I tried it the first time with a disposable knife. I took 2 plastic knives, cut it, then fed it to them with tweezers, it did not bother me at all. I THOUGHT it would be terrible but it was fine.

Newts hunt by a mix of smell and sight. Their eyesight is not great but they focus on movement. They may not realize the pellet is food. If you get some tweezers, try waving it in front of their eyes, between the newt and something dark like a rock or a plant, so it notices the contrast. My newts never seem to notice frozen bloodworms unelss I do this for them with tweezers, but then they gobble em up.

Also. They like hiding places. Things they can hide under, small caves, things like that. Do you think anything for him to hide under, or in?

I feed one of mine nightcrawlers and the othr trout worms or red wigglers. I don't cut any of them up and they eat them just fine. You can store them in the fridge or outside of it. Just make sure they are not near the heat....melted worms look really gross.

Hey, he finished shedding and now he's mowing down on those blood worms :)

for just general questions shoudl i keep to this thread or make new ones?

I've been wondering too about the water level i want in the tank, and if i want the filter to make a strong current.

The Newt i have is entirely aquatic right? so should my tank be filled to the top? if so shoudl there still be some way for hi mto get out of the water? and i have the filter on strong right now to kind of simulate river bubbles and current, and i have it hitting at the bottom on a flat rock. good or bad?

Was going to post a video of what i mean but GF has the camera and I can't fidn the adaptor for my cell card.

Paddle tails are mostly aquatic, but a small area above the water level is also needed, their natural habitat is swift flowing, high oxygenated water so leave the filter as it is, maybe add a air stone and pump.
All newts have the ability to escape from their enclosures so a secure fitting lid is a must - to avoid any risk of the newt escaping and drying out as a consequence of the escape.

Hope this helps.

I'm already using an air stone and pump actually, it's under that slab of rock, but i'm glad to know that that is ok. I'd like to look into a cage top for the newt... i don't know where to get them for 10 gallons though to be honest. I'm off to halifax today to see what's available at the pet stores there (something good no doubt)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back