Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Shock deaths.

IanF

Reaction score
Very sadly, both Tanis and Atin died this week. Atin died last Wednesday of what I thought to be some sort of stroke because his right side was paralised, and Tanis passed away this evening... for completely unknow reasons. I'm pretty sad and disappointed. Both were shocking and have left me lacking confidence and not feeling all to well.
The water, temeperatures, etc where fine. They both hadn't eaten in awhile but I hadn't thought much of it. It's a mystery to me as to why Tanis died.
So now like I said I'm lacking 'contentness', I very worried about my other animals if it was some sort of disease. Although the others are happy and healthy (to my knowledge, but apparently that can't be relied upon as this incident has shown) I'm not able to relax.
I'm not going to talk much about it as it's pretty upsetting, I can't help but blame myself. If anyone has any idea what might have happened, feel free to comment. This is really just to let you know.

Ian

lazymut

Reaction score
Dam thats terrible!
feel sorry for you!
the only thing i could suggest is gravel because your gravels a bit small on your pictures but you could well have changed substrate since then. were they both young?
good luck with future endeavors !

IanF

Reaction score
Dam thats terrible!
feel sorry for you!
the only thing i could suggest is gravel because your gravels a bit small on your pictures but you could well have changed substrate since then. were they both young?
good luck with future endeavors !
There wasn't any gravel, I changed it about 5 months ago, although Atin did look abit swollen.

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh Ian,

I'm so sorry, what a horrible week for you. :sad:

RIP Atin and Tanis.

There wasn't any gravel, I changed it about 5 months ago, although Atin did look abit swollen.

Unfortunately, axolotls can retain gravel for months upon months after swallowing it and are sometimes unable to pass it when it does finally shift. If the gravel is of a sharp or jagged shape, it could cause internal damage while it is passing through. Impaction will also cause a loss in appetite due to blockage.

I've lost two axolotls due to complications caused by impaction. One of which passed away six months after the gravel had been removed from the tank in March (when I joined this wonderful forum). The axolotls had been on gravel for five years before this time, so lordy knows how long the gravel had been inside my poor axie...more than six months but less than five years.

When I examined her body, I found a lump near her rear legs that was 'hard as a rock'. I didn't wish to cut her up to find out what it was (silly I know, but she was a loved pet I'd had for five years). I buried her in a flower pot and found the stones in her remains when she had 'rotted away' - doesn't seem to take very long.

I hope this terrible experience doesn't put you off keeping axolotls - please don't blame yourself.

Jacq.

Nathan050793

Reaction score
I'm very sorry for your loss Ian. :sad:

I know how it feels to loose salamanders and it really isn't a great experience, here's hoping to brighter days....

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss Ian.

IanF

Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Well I geuss it was impaction then. Upon inspecting the body of Tanis today before burying her and found exactly what you described Jacq. It's good to know what happened though, I can stop worrying about what might be wrong.
It's not going to put me off Axolotls, but I think I'll wait awhile before considering getting another one. Again, thanks, you've all been a tremendous help and I won't repeat my mistake again.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!