A Weird Axie

Aquatic

Reaction score
Country
United States
AxolotlsIII098.jpg

I bred some axolotls a while back, and they are doing great! With one execption. This guy. This little guy is about 10 months old and he is only 2 inches long. He has been a sickly guy. Lots of gas bubble disease, poor appetite, and well....just plain scrawny. He does have this weird pattern. He is blotchy, and I don't know if its genetic or that he's just a sickly tike. The light areas are a light pink. He is bizzare. He is doing better now, gas bubble is gone and he is eating better. He just refuses to grow. I welcome your thoughts, and thought I'd share him with you.

looks cool , i have a little albino axie that has not grown much , it is a little over 1 year old and is only 2 1/2 inches long , i think its a midget .

possible dwarf axie

how often do you feed him? What do you feed him?

His gills are rather long and healthy looking

im going to put $2 and a handful of fluff from the bottom of my pocket that his a dwarf

I had the same problem when i bred my axies a few years back. I had 2 wildtypes that just decided not to grow any bigger than 2 or 3 inches long. And they were like this up until around a year old or so. But they died due to organ failure. I never thought of them to be 'midget' axies, but come to think of it they more than likely were. Aww bless.

Very cute. Love the markings and colour!

Never heard of an dwarf axolotl before. Either way that little beauty is cute.

I've seen axies that I could believe were a dwarf-type strain, but this just looks to me like a sickly or slow-growing animal. I think it shouldn't ever be bred.

Could it be a victim of chytrid?

Chytrid tends to kill within a few days/weeks. If this animal is 10 months old, I really doubt it.

that is quite astonishing! i have never seen anything like it. is the little guy still alive, does anyone know?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back