Some general keeping questions about the P. Labiatus

Gregh

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Greg
I've been wondering about the water level i want in the tank for my P. Labiatus, and if i want the filter to make a strong current.

The Newt i have is entirely aquatic right? so should my tank be filled to the top? if so should there still be some way for him to get out of the water? and i have the filter on strong right now to kind of simulate river bubbles and current, and i have it hitting at the bottom on a flat rock. good or bad?

Was going to post a video of what i mean but my girlfriend has the camera and I can't find the adaptor for my cell card.

file_1943.jpg

thanks, i had read it but as far as habitat goes i missed the sand part.... i'll have to sub out the rocks i guess. as to the current, it's that page that originally gave me the idea of the filter set to high and i have tons of bubbles going fro mthe bubble machine and the filter.

Fully aquatic setup ='s full to the top? it seems a bit contradictory to the idea of having land for them.

my room is kept at 80s temperature, and out of my control... should i be somehow chilling the water? if so, any recommendations how?

What size tank is he in? I would not recommend filling it direct to the top for lots of reasons. One being easier to escape, and two is when the go up for air they can shoot out and injure themselves on your top. If it's a standard framed aquarium, 3" below the frame should be fine. You may want to also look at getting your room temp down, that is pretty warm.

You can get cooling fans and these will help to drop the temp, a firm called Azoo make them. I'd still get the room temp lowered though.

I would like to, but i live in a residence of St.FX U that has one room on the floor regulate all of the temperatures. It's the oldest rez... it's also the quietest so it's a fair compromise. That said, i'll have to figure out something for Dr. Henke (the newt)

keep your tank close to the floor .. as its very slightly cooler , they love deep water and a floating island is enough land , if he starts swimming up the tank walls do a partial water change , and check out the article about making an ice drip tray! enjoy !

With that type of filter, heat isn't a big issue, but escape is. How will you prevent the newt from escaping the cracks around the filter?

I have a plan to use mesh, until then, at the moment, i'm using cardboard from pop containers.... yeah... I've already spent a lot on this little guy (no regrets don't get me wrong) trying to make him happy so i'm trying to get what i need now by more economic means.

I suppose I could also house the filter area in molded plastic. I haven't even bought a cage top yet, I'm using a standard aquarium top, and the place that sold it to me only carried 5 gallon tank cages so i was out of luck there.

Maybe I could just design my own mesh frame with holes for the hose and filter, and let the imcoming water diffuse on it and fall into the aquarium more similarly to rain/waterfalls or something of that nature. The only problem is these projects have to wait until exams are over on the 17th.

Any idea for a quick fix some people use? right now I just have like i said cardbord blocking his escape (which is because he already did escape a few days ago... got cornered in the hall and put in a tupperware dish with water... i got called and came driving up from a different residence.... whole fun story haha)

edit: there is good news! I've been working on it, and thus far have the tank down to 76-78ish... it's still high but it's a work in progress, and he already looks happier

thats a tricky one! and believe me, a vivarium lid wont keep them in either ! i usually block holes with tissue or unused sponge(dry) then tape it in place from the outside.. it depends where the cracks are and how big?
mine have got out of a tight fitting viv lid before by pushing the glass panel up high enough to get through the tinyest of gaps!
abd dont worry about the water flow .. this species likes it , as long as there are a few places to chose from with less flow, to rest in

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back