..and the insanity continues

AGreenDarkness

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
AGreenDarkness
Ok, so I know everyone says there is no such thing as stupid questions...but uhh..

Can you train an axolotl?

The reason I ask this (and please tell me if it is a bad thing and it should be stopped) is because I sent Squishy to live with my dad for a couple months until the holidays are over and I am settled back in at school and she may possibly become a permanent resident of dad's if this is not a bad thing...

So here is the story..

A couple weeks ago, I took the plunge of moving Squishy. I emptied out tank water, I shoved a squirming Squish into a tuperware container, I put everything into the car, and I drove an hour and a half to Dad's.

I set the tank back up, I put in fresh water (didn't empty the tank completely so I didn't need to recycle the tank because the bacteria was still there) I let the tank run for a couple hours and then slipped a still squirming Squish back into the tank.

I gave my dad a rundown of directions. NEVER touch Squishy, DO NOT over feed Squishy, but occasional treats are ok. NO foods that are not first approved by me. ALWAYS keep the tank clean and free of poo. 20% water change at least once a week, if your bored do some extra water changes.

I left pellets and earthworms which is the food she has been eating for her whole life.

I came back a week later to find that Squishy is happy and healthy, and incredibly weird.

1. She has not pooped since I took her there (now two and a half weeks since she got there)
2. She now refuses to eat her pellets and spits out everything that is not a wriggling worm (I suspect dad is spoiling her)
3. She attempts to chew off my finger anytime I try to feed her
And last but certainly not least...

4. She begs my dad to pet her??

Anytime my dad goes near the tank Squish swims to the top of the tank and stares at him, he walks over, flips off the lid sticks his finger in and rubs her head. She sits there the whole time not moving while he pets her. (if I even get too close to her in the tank she explodes into a fury of actions and attempts to commit suicide by escaping)

Surely if she didn't like it or if it was hurting her should would swim away? I mean he isn't rough about it and she like swims towards him and positions her head so he can pet her. WEIRDD!!! please tell me what is going on!?

I don't think it is a stupid question! :) I believe axolotls can be trained to some degree. My axolotl will look up when I look over the tank, and then if I start talking he will swim to the surface. He does not swim to the surface if other people talk to him, I suspect he associates me with food :p Another thing I used to be able to do is make him dance. Basically I would stick my finger in the tank and wiggle it around. My axolotl will stand on his hind legs and kind of jump back and forth, like he is doing a little jig :lol: I presume he associated the wiggling finger with food as I used to wiggle my fingers in the tank holding food and let it drop down into his mouth. These days I use live food, or pellets, or just let other food fall into his mouth so he's stopped doing it. I should start using my old feeding method to see if he will start doing his jig again!

With your dad petting your axolotl, I would advise you to tell him to stop this, even if it seems your axolotl is not stressed. Axolotls have delicate skins and if your dad has something on his fingers one time when doing it, it might irritate Squishy's skin.

Are you sure your axolotl has not pooped? I find some times I do not notice poo in my axie's tanks for a few weeks. I presume he is still doing it, but it dissolves before I can find it! Check under any ornaments as I remember when I first had my axolotl I wondered why he was not pooping, and then found his 'toilet' behind a bit of wood!

With trying to chew your finger off, well worms are wiggly so I think if your dad has mainly been feeding worms Squishy will think your finger is a worm and will try to eat it! I would not worry too much about this :D

I think with not eating pellets, it is probably because your axolotl now prefers worms. If you want her to go back to eating pellets you probably have to just keep trying with them and avoiding feeding worms. When she gets hungry she will start eating pellets again I am sure! But worms are a good source of food so you don't have to go back to pellets. :eek:

Yea, honestly the most worrisome thing was him petting her i just keep getting this image of him petting too hard and her head falling off (worrisome mom here lol) I am gonna ask him to stop touching the goods and keep hands out of the tank unless feeding.

as for poo I guess I am so used to having her in the room with my constantly and always noticing it as soon as it happens that I might be missing it now, you would think dad would see it though since he thinks Squish is the coolest thing since sliced bread. I will just have to see if I catch one, if not could there be problem? I mean I think dad is feeding her more than I used to (I normally did a worm or two every other day, but dad does a slice of worm daily) could she be..uh.. plugged?

I guess it is possible. If she continues to eat and show no other symptoms though, I would not worry too much. If you continue to be concerned, pop her in the fridge and usually that helps axolotls if they are constipated.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back