excessive weight lost and not eating

felicity

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi there,

I went away for a long time and left my axolotl with my cousin to look after. When I got back she was literally half the size of when I left and looked very sick and shriveled up. My cousin told me she hadn't eaten for about 1-2 weeks (but i think it must have been longer than that-she's just not telling me). During that time she had only tried to feed her pellets and not worms (since the worms ran out), and Sam (the axolotl) has never really been fond of pellets. She is still moving around like she used to, she is just incredibly skinny - has lost so much weight. I have tried feeding her worms now but she just ignores them or makes a slight attempt to suck in to eat but doesnt end up getting them down.

The water was terrible during the time- ph about 5.5 - 6, poo in the bottom of the tank, water not changed very much, temperature 24oC. I gradually raised the ph up to 7.5 and did some water changes, but I'm worried it's too late for her.

How can I make Sam recover?? I really love her and don't want her to die. How can I make her eat? Will she ever gain weight back to her former glory?
Please please, help me!

Hi Felicity,

It will take quite some time, care and patience to get that axolotl back on her feet after such an ordeal.

In trying to fatten her up, I would try cutting the worm into small portions that is easy to get down in one gulp so she is expending little effort when trying to eat. I would try a variety of chopped earthworm, blackworm or bloodworm - something soft but nutritious for her. Also, try leaving the food with her overnight and she may eat in privacy.

I would consider moving her into a plastic tub of fresh dechlorinated water so you can have more control in monitoring the intake of food and ascertain if she is digesting the food properly or regurgitating it - this can be difficult to monitor in a tank environment as the waste and food either gets hidden in nooks and crannys, or dissipates away. In the tub the poop and left over food is easy to see and won't get hidden away.

Keep the tub somewhere cool in the house and above all safe - ie. if you have a cat, don't trust the cat. Also ensure the tub has a secure lid and wrap it in a teatowel so the environment is dark and secure for the girl - axies love the cool and dark and this may help encourage her to eat.

If you opt to keep her in the tub, you will need to change her water 100% every day with fresh dechlorinated water.

Are you able to post a photo of your axolotl?

If you could also advise on your tank setup that will help us ascertain if there is anything going on in there which may be impeding her recovery.

Is there any water movement in the tank? (water movement can cause stress)
Are you testing for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate? (Your pH is perfect at 7.5)
What is the tank temperature? (cold water will slow the metabolism)
What substrate are you using? (If there is any gravel, she may be impacted)
How large is the tank? (The larger the better to dillute wastes)

I am far from an expert but I think the water temp in too high and I would be inclined to put your axolotl in the fridge until you get your tank right. When my axolotl was sick I used a 4litre plastic ice cream container (about a third full) with water from the tank and covered it with a tea towel. It sounds wierd but it works as long as the temp doesn't go below 6 deg. They sort of shut down and heal. If you want to have a look at my axolotls recovery I posted pictures. Just type in Moreton and all about him should come up. I am sure you will get some more help as I have found this site so helpful. I know how hard it is waiting for a reply as all you want it for them to get better. Good luck.

Putting your axie in the fridge will not help her eat more as the cold temperature will slow down the metabolism.

I agree with Jacq.

Hey,
thanks very much for your help. Here are some answers...
There's no water movement in the tank (filter is the right size for the tank), she has sand as the substrate, it's a 2foot by 1foot tank (i think!), the temperature at the moment is a little warm (about 24oC - I'm trying to cool it with ice cubes), as for ammonia,nitrate and nitrite - I've got a treatment liquid which is supposed to get all levels to normal that I put in her changed water and straight into the tank (just a little bit)- would you still suggest getting it tested at the pet shop as well?

About the fridging - can she eat while she is in the fridge?? My main concern at the moment is fattening her back up.

The plastic tub idea sounds good - however the problem is is that Sam is still at my cousins house, not here with me. My plan was to move her here straight away but Im worried that the stress of a long car trip and water disruption will be the last straw for her. So I have to care for her long distance (although i visit regularily) and the plastic tub plan would need constant attention,and I definatly don't trust my cousin to be able to help at all. But if I were to do this, some questions...
1) would the change in water be a stress for her? I thought 100% changes in water each day were too traumatic?
2) Also for "fresh dechlorinated water" is tap water treated with the dechlorinating liquid and softening salts (like what i use for her 10% water changes) ok?

For the moment I'll put a towel over her tank to make it darker and buy lots of different foods to cut up and feed her. Ill also thoroughly clean the bottom of the tank so I can spot food and poo.
Any other suggestions??
thanks very much again for your help - im really worried about her

Firstly, you really do need to get Sam home with you! That way you can make sure the right then is done.

If you put Sam in the fridge her will not eat much at all! As for the container, it is a good idea. Changing the water daily is less stressful then being in contaminated water, so yes it must be changed 100%, daily.

As for the 'fresh dechlorinated water', yes it is just fresh tap water treated. However, don't use softening salts as axolotls prefer hard water.

thanks Kira - I'm going to bring Sam home very soon. I posted a new thread to get some advice on the best way to move her, and Im going to start the clean water tub tomorrow. Also it is hardering salts I use, not softening - my mistake.

Thanks both of you for you help

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back