Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Cynops orientalis population trend

A

achiinto

I just checked the IUCN red list, the C.O. is listed as least concern, which is as expected. However, it also stated that the population trend is decreasing. This kind of surprised me. I guess there is more reason now to get captive breed C.O. and need to educate new newt keeper more.

As a comparison, the eastern newt has a stable population trend.

onetwentysix

Reaction score
Pretty bad, isn't it? I've actually got a source saying that 1,635,362 C. orientalis were exported between 1998-2002, which is a horrifying figure. It's only a matter of time before the species crashes; all so we can have $3 half starved, dying newts in our pet stores.

Dave1812

Reaction score
Its sad that the message about only getting CB stock hasn't managed to get through to enough people (mainly newcomers to keeping herps). Lets face it most pet shops are not bothered if its a CB or CW they just see a profit.

Mark

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Cynops orientalis has a very large range and receives protection in a number of areas. It’s an adaptable species which can even thrive in degraded and man-made habitats such as paddy fields. This gives it quite an edge over more sensitive species - I doubt it’ll be on the red-list any time soon. Pollution and habitat loss are probably bigger threats than collection for the pet trade.

I’d be interested to see details of the protected areas if anyone has them. I wonder how effective they are? – China doesn’t have the best track record when it comes to wildlife.

Critter Mom

Reaction score
Most pet shops that are chains anyway, don't know if they are captive bred or caught wild. In the good sized city I live in, there is only 1 pet store that carries C. Orientalis, or any kind of firebelly newt. I find it funny that they still have them labeled as C. Pyrroghaster on the care sheets. I had to have them special order them for me.

I had to do my own research to be able to tell the difference. I figured the pet store should know what they are selling.:lol:

They sell for around $5 or $6 each. I can't remember exactly.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!