Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Gloomy Axolotl.

leaflettex

Reaction score
Hey there guys,
I need your help with an interesting problem with my Axolotl.

Lately Oxy has been floating at the top of the tank and looking very gloomy. The tip of his tail has curled which indicated stress, but I'm not sure what he's stressed about! The water temp is fine same with the PH levels..

About a month ago he swallowed a sizeable rock, and it is still in his belly. Could this be causing him problems? He still eats everytime I feed him.

Today I noticed his body was looking furry and at the top of his back hind legs there where symetical lumps. They are too similar and well placed to be a sickness.. Which leads me to think he's evolving. I gave him some medication for body fungus, just in case.

What should I do?

(I'll get a picture up now.)

leaflettex

Reaction score

Attachments

• Oxy.jpg
    Oxy.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 836

gr33neyes

Reaction score
Hmm ok have you tested your water for ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?
Its possible the rock could be causing a problem. Have you removed them from your tank?
What sort of medication did you give him for the body fungus?

leaflettex

Reaction score
I haven't tested for them.. Do I need a special kit to do so?

Yes, I removed them long ago. He has huge rocks now that can't be swallowed. I was hoping he would bring the rock up sooner rather than later but I might just quarantine him for a time and that might encourage him to bring it up.

A standard antibotic used for fishtanks. It kills all disease (Ich, body fungus, fin rot) in a fish tank, I've used it before and it healed him nicely. That shouldn't be the problem.

I don't have a filter, I've been meaning to get one but I haven't had the money for it. This could be a serious factor in his sickness. Though I have air stones and lots of plants and his gills are growing nicely.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, you'll need to buy a liquid reagent test kit. These range in price. Alternatively, your local fish store or pet shop should be able to test the water for you for free or a nominal price.

How often do you clean the tank? How do you clean the tank?

The 'treatment' you're using could very well be harming your axolotl. Fish medications are not made for amphibians, and can be extremely toxic.

leaflettex

Reaction score
I looked on the bottle of the treatment and it said it was okay to use for axolotls. But I wont use it.

Today I removed Oxy from his tank and put him into a bucket with good PH levels into the fridge to let his metabolism slow. While he was in there I cleaned the tank. I removed about 85% of the water and put new water in. I added water ager and I'm going to let the water stand over night before I sort out the PH levels.

I gave him a salt bath and this seemed to help him. He looks better now.

I think he might have ammonia burn asI've read up on it and it seems to be all related. I'm going to get a filter as soon as I can.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
There is no regulation on fish medication. They could easily say that it will cure your 'whatever' of any disease under the sun, but that doesn't make it true.

pH is the least worrisome of all your water parameters. When Ammonia and nitrite are in check, pH is usually fine. Axolotls can tolerate a range of pH, usually from 5-8ish. But the cannot tolerate any level of ammonia or nitrite.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1