Adding a newt to a new tank of water

Josue

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to add a filter system to my tank, but i also want to add more water to the tank. I heard that i should not put a newt in water it is not used to because it will die. How can i prevent this from happening.

You can prevent your newt from dying by cycling your tank first.

You can get products that get rid of the chemicals (as well as heavy metals in the water) that the water companies add the the water, treat the water before you put it in your tank - you should also treat the water you use in a part water change in the same way.
You can also get products that help bacteria colonise things like gravel, ornaments, filter media.
The above should help in the transition of your tank - hope this helps.

Are you completely changing the water, or only adding some? If the only change you are making is to add some water and a new filter, this will not cause your newt to die. In fact you should be doing partial water changes every week. What kind of filter are you adding?

i am using an under gravel filter with an air pump

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back