Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: White mucas.

LukeyG

Reaction score
i have an axolotl pair who share the same tank, and on thursday night, i feed them their worms and they were really happy.
on friday morning i woke up two see that my black one and my albino one were both cover in a white mucas on their gills and their entire body, we thought maybe their skin was shedding, but it was both of them, they didn't look too well, we went out for the afternoon and when we came home the black one was not breathing or moving and he tragically had died. we couldn't understand why it was so suddern, the white one was still battling on and not eating anything, we found him on his side and we thought he was dead, but he started slowly walking. and i found him on his side again last night. we took the water in to be tested and they said the ph levels were really low, we brought some powder but it doesnt seem to be doing much difference. im really worried.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
More important than testing for pH is to test for ammonia and nitrite. I suspect your animals are suffering from ammonia poisoning. Get them into fresh water NOW!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!