Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Moving Axolotls?

PaulUK

Reaction score
Hi folks,
My partner and I are moving house soon, and we want to make the move as stress-free for our Axolotl's as possible (We have two fairly young ones - not sure on age - and I can imagine they don't take too kindly to being banged around in a moving tank!) so we were wondering - I've come across first-aid kits for garden fish which contain "knock-out drops" for fish. Is there something similar we can use to on our Axolotl's for the trip from old place to new? Or will we just have to be very careful going over speed bumps?

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Just be careful on the bumps - I do not recommend any type of chemicals to "knock them out".
Use some big, round buckets with a tight fitting lid, that will do. I've moved Axolotls for several hundred kilometers that way and when I opened the bucked all they did was begging for food.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
If the move won't be long, they'll be fine in fish bags or 'ziploc' bags.

There are many threads on this. The search function should pull up quite a few relevant threads.

optimist

Reaction score
Ive moved them 200 miles over about 6 hours (involved a ferry crossing). Put them in big poly bags, each one in its own bag. Water should be double height of axolotl, the rest filled with air. I use Buxton mineral water for transport. Put sealed bags inside one of those insulated picnic boxes (to maintain temperature) and they will be fine.

tg23

Reaction score
I am about to move my girl about 3700 kms across Australia (over the desert too!!) over 4 days with 9-13 hours on the road a day. I am sure your axie will be fine! Two and a half weeks until we make the trek. Got a good setup for it though, she will have an aquarium chiller and filter running the whole way and will be in an insulated 60l (probably filled to 35-40) marine ice box. Expensive trek, with all the gear to make this happen but worth it.

PaulUK

Reaction score
Thanks to all of you for the advice! Hopefully they'll have a better trip now!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1