Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Frozen brine shrimp for newts?

keithp

Reaction score
I once offered my newt live brine shrimp (rinsing them before feeding remove excess salt), I heard they eat them and it enhances there color (for firebelly newts). He didnt seem to bother eating them he couldnt catch them and they died next day and I removed them. Then I saw frozen brine shrimp sold and was like hmm mabye he will eat those (since he loves frozen bloodworm cubes when they sink to the bottom)
I tried it and he LOVED the frozen brine shrimp he gorged himself on them, usually most food he eats a few bites and that's it, apparently he loved these.

I was wondering, is there any salt in frozen brine shrimp, enough to harm him? He really likes them so I was hoping he can be fed them. And I get so many cubes in a pack they will last a long time.

aird3

Reaction score
Hi Keith. I have been feeding my axies frozen Brine Shrimp for a number of months now. I just cut them into halves and feed them with long handled tweezers. I'm not sure if there is any salt in the frozen brine shrimp, but both of my axies love them. I also alternate their food and feed them frozen blood worm, beef heart, white bait bought for axies from the aquarium, and garden worms. They seem to like everything that I give them. I haven't had any trouble with feeding them brine shrimp. Maybe someone else on here can fill you in on the amount of salt, if any are contained in the Brine Shrimp. Cheers Carol.

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
Hey Keith,
If you use the San Francisco Brand brine shrimp, they are rinsed in freshwater and then flash frozen, so salt shouldn't be an issue.

keithp

Reaction score
Hi,

I checked the package and the brand is Hikari. The ingredients are as follows: brine shrimp,water, vitamin b12,pyridoxine,l-ascorbyl-2 polyphosphate,established vitamin C,beta carotene,riboflavin,thiamine mononitrate,biotin,choline chloride,folic acid,pantothenic acid,inositol,niacin.

and on the side it says bio-pure, 3 step sterilization.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1