Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

My Axie

b00f

Reaction score
Hey

For those who dont venture into the gallery, here is my axie

I know his a lil skinny, currently just tryin to fatten him up a bit.

file_1955.jpg

let me know what you think.

Aaron

paullism

Reaction score
Hi Aaron

Your axolotl looks very happy & your right, get a bit more food into him. As a rule of thumb, their body should be as wide as their head. In other words they should be a little plump. Nice Picture.

Paul

b00f

Reaction score
Yes he is pretty skinny the poor thing! How did he get so skinny?

Anyway, still very cute. :)

his not very old...
his brothers and sisters in the tank were all roughly the same size... he was definatly the plumpest though

thanks paul, he has never stopped smiling since i got him, and he loves his little hide, seems that its his "litter tray". and yeah photography was a lil past time of mine, though i must say his one of the hardest things to take pics of, with the constant swimming

thanks for the tips

im goin to get him on some waxworms (thanks for that justin and eve) ASAP

paullism

Reaction score
Hi Aaron

Well your in good hands with Justin & Eve, both are great sources of information.

Here is a link regarding food. I'm not sure about the cost of waxworms or how available they are here, but earth worms are great, they are cheap & you can get them from your local bait shop. You will find earth worms listed under the title of night crawlers & lobe worms. As earth worms can carry some dirt it is a good idea to put them in some water for 20 or 30 minutes & then cut them up.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

Chelsea & I feed our axolotls a combination of Blood worms, axolotl pellets, earth worms & beef heart.

Good luck & let us know how you go.

Paul

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Whoa. A little skinny is an understatement. That axolotl is emaciated. Good luck with its survival.

b00f

Reaction score
his eating alot more now, and he is slowly fattening up
im giving him a mix of 3-5cm worms + beef heart
he doesnt mind the odd blood worm...

thanks for all the nice comments, and kaysie, dw, il have him lookin lil more plump

Saspotato

Reaction score
Beef heart is not an ideal food source for axies. Earth worms are good, also salmon pellets, blood worms, brine shrimp are other sources as well.

Why were the axies so skinny from the place you got him? I would have words to whoever sold you that axie. They have obviously not been looked after properly...

b00f

Reaction score
Beef heart is not an ideal food source for axies. Earth worms are good, also salmon pellets, blood worms, brine shrimp are other sources as well.

Why were the axies so skinny from the place you got him? I would have words to whoever sold you that axie. They have obviously not been looked after properly...

im not sure, he could just be really young,
the whole litter were small..
but they have had larger, more developed ones since returning to shop..

im goin to do my best to get him plump..
i got some salmon pellets on my lunch break, il try and keep his diet varied

il keep you all posted on his development.

thanks for all the advice, this place has helped me alot

Neotenic_Jaymes

Reaction score
Your axolotl looks equal to skin and skeleton. I would concetrate on feeding it more healthy foods such a pellets which are easy to obtain. Your axolotl is really stressed, survival should be your aim. I've seen axolotls bounce back to health but the older it is its regneration/healing skills aren't as strong as a axolotl in its early youth. Hopefully it survives, as well as the others.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
im not sure, he could just be really young

All in all, I've noted that young axolotls tend to be thinner than adults (I attribute this to food energy being allotted for growing in length, rather than being stored as fat). But even young axolotls shouldn't be this thin. Allowing an animal to get this thin is only through neglect or purposeful mistreatment.

Whoever you got this animal from should be reported.

As far as food, I think at this point, ANY food you can get into it will help, even if it's not necessarily the 'best' food. If it was in my care, I would feed it a diet of earthworms, pellets, beef heart, and wax worms.

gr33neyes

Reaction score
I hope your axolotl will be okay. The trouble with it being so thin is that you don't know what damage has been done to its internal organs etc from being so underfed. You can feed the belly but if damage has occurred it may not ever grow well or survive for long.

bobberly1

Reaction score
Whoa. A little skinny is an understatement. That axolotl is emaciated. Good luck with its survival.

Yeah, I didn't want to say anything, but that's really bad.

Wouldn't a little beefheart be a good thing at this point to fatten it up?

lisalee2

Reaction score
Bless him isnt he skinny he needs a good few meals to make him a bit fater. I have 7 axolotls and i feed them on earth worm,frozen dillys (fish) blood worm accasonly and prawns. And they all love there food specialy dillys, Your little boy will soon put on some weight tho. but he looks really happy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1