Possible temperature solution

Gregh

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Greg
Right now i'm running an aquaclear 30, and my room is always hot anyway so my tank is warm. I've been thinking of just making an ice pack the right size to be fitted on top of the filter stack on it to chil lthe water and cycle it evenly, and just put it in the freezer a second one when it thaws.

Good idea? bad idea? If a bad idea why?

The water will probably not be in contact with the ice pack long enough to significantly cool it.

Also, it'll take longer to cool the new pack than it will to warm up the other one. It'll help, but I can't see it making much of a difference. Rigging some computer fans up on the tank would probably help more, and would be less labor intensive.

I notice you're in Canada; if the temp issue is right now, you could always open the window a crack, or do what I tried last year (wanted to cool my Necturus down for breeding); have many frozen containers, stick them outside to freeze, works better than the fridge (less energy intensive and needs less fridge space.)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back