Question: my tiger has bugs...

fignewton

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
fignewton
Ok so I think Marly, my tiger salamander, has some kind of bug problem. Occasionally I will see a tiny little bug on the wooden log in his tank, the ones on the log usually look black. Once in a while I will see them on HIM though, and those always appear to be white (maybe the same thing but look different colors against his olive skin??) I got Marly from a reptile shop maybe 2 or 3 months ago. Someone had brought him and another one in, didn't want them anymore. He was in great health when I got him, eats well, is pretty much pampered. But I don't know where these dang bugs come from. I'm wondering if they are mites, but the thread on here that I found about mites on a sallie wasn't much help. I know to get rid of them I need to completely clean the tank. But I'm wondering two things - how do I get rid of them off the wooden log (that he LOVES so much!) and off of him? I was thinking... maybe I could boil the log? How to get them off him, I have no idea. I really don't handle him, as I'm always afraid of hurting him (he's so dang spongy lol...) I'd seen at PetSmart a reptile product for mites that you can apply right to the animal, but it says NOT for use on amphibians. I'm wondering, is there any such product out there for amphibians? I'm just worried that after I get everything changed and cleaned, that I might miss some that are on him and have the whole problem all over? It's not what I'd call an infestation, but I do notice them from time to time and I'm sure that Marly can't be comfortable with these little things crawling on him. I wouldn't want bugs on me anyways.
So, any ideas on how to treat the him and the log would be fabulous!
Thanks everyone
(ps marly is an adult, if that matters)
Emily

There are many types of 'bugs' that can be in a terrestrial environment - many are harmless. Do your bugs have 8 legs and look like a tiny spider (mite) or do they have 6 legs (insect)? Could be a type of mite or a harmless sprintail. Are the bugs causing any type of sore or getting under the animal's skin?

I would change your substrate and clean your tank. You can boil the log. Some mite infestations are the result of soiled substrate - feed on decaying matter, feces, etc. I would not use any chemicals for the situation you describe. Check the animal by wetting your hands with spring water and look closely at his skin. What are you using as a substrate and is your tank well ventilated?

Ok from your description 2 possibilties came to mind. First is what you were thinking, mites. Second, if you touch or get near the bugs do they jump? If so they are springtails. If it is the latter, then they are pretty harmless and are only there because of the mold/fungus growng on the log. To get rid of the springtails all you need to do is get rid of the previously mentioned mold/fungus. However you could just leave them in there and once they have consumed most of the mold their numbers will decrease because of lack of food (meaning they have reached carrying capacity). If you leave them in there, which I recomend, you kill 2 birds with 1 stone. You will eventually get rid of the mold and the springtails or at least to a managable number. To get rid of the mold completely you could bake it in the oven for 30 minutes @375 degrees, but keep a good eye on it and make sure it doesn't catch fire (an obvious recomendation but I am sure some people would set it and forget it). Some people have recomended boiling the wood but I have never tried it so I have no idea how well it works. This also isn't a guarantee that the mold won't comeback, more than likely it will. As for mites, I have no clue how to get rid of them except to completely clean the tank and use all new substrate. If it does happen to be mites I have a suggestion for keeping them away. After it has all be cleaned and taken care of take some mite paper and put it under the tank and it is supposed to keep mites at bay for about 3 months. I use it for my fruit fly cultures and it works great. Ok this is getting too long but if you have any other questions just ask.

Thanks so much to both of you!
I haven't actually touched the bugs, so I don't know if they jump. But shortly after I first set the tank up, mold grew on the underside of the log. I asked on here about that and was told that the mold wouldn't hurt Marly, and so I left the log. The mold is gone now, so if the bugs are eating it that would make sense as to why it disappeared (the tank has been set up for a few months now.) Um, I just checked and the substrate is just called Reptile Bark and is made by All Living Things. I've also got some moss in there. The bottom layer is gravel and then the bark. When I change the tank I'm not planning to put the gravel in again, but he seems to like the moss. He's also got a live plant, however I couldn't say what it is called off the top of my head. And a log and a huge pinecone. I do stir up his substrate every few days, to make sure things are airing out evenly. It's a 10 gallon tank with a mesh lid. So... I'm hoping that is good ventilation... but really don't know for sure. Since I've had him the humidity is usually between 60-70%. But it's usually only up to 70 right after I spray it all down then the next day it's back down to about 60. It's never been below 50%, because I'm terrified of him drying out. Probably over reacting but yea, it's a huge fear of mine. He hasn't had any insects to eat, I've only given him worms (red wigglers and nightcrawlers) and haven't ever noticed any bugs on those. I don't know how many legs they've got, as I haven't really looked that close but I will. It's good to know his log can be saved, lol it is his FAVORITE thing. I will definately stay away from the chemicals.
Emily

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back