Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Broken leg, not eating,fungus..

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Hi all. Hope somebody has some idea how can I help my Axelina?

Background info: Axelina lost her leg a few months ago (either in a fight or it got badly stuck somewhere). Since then she has been separated by a tank divider from my 2 other axies. I have kept the water temperature down at between 14-16C, and have covered Axelina's side of with a dark sheet, so she can relax. She hasn't moved around a lot, but was eating ok. But 3 weeks ago she stopped eating, and since then I have only managed to get her to eat something very little once. And 4 days ago she developed a fungus on her tail and toes on one leg. Am giving her saltbaths, and the fungus is a bit better. She still refuses to eat anything.

Her poo-poo looks very dry, and I can see some things in it that she has eaten, like a bloodworm,bit of squid etc. I don't think I should be able to make them out..?

This has now been going on so long, am getting quite worried. Should I take her to a vet?

The broken leg seem sto have healed sort of ok. She hasn't grown a new leg, but the cut is neat and not infected and covered by a new, thin skin.

My other 2 axies are perfectly healthy and happy. Water is good (ammonia 0, nitrite 0 etc)

Any suggestions to help my little darling would be appreciated...

kira

Reaction score
I think that I would be inclined to take her to the vet because it could be an infection of some sort...

sherrisixxx

Reaction score
Thanks Kira. However Axelina's fungus is now gone thanks to salt baths, and she has eaten 2 full dinners, yippee. So am keeping my fingers crossed that she is on her way to recovery.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!