Reaction score
Country
Madeira
Some photos of these on a river :D
hope you like it.

IMG_4166.jpg

IMG_4168.jpg

IMG_4169.jpg

Wonderful pictures, thank you for sharing them. What country did you take them in?

Great pictures! I have the same question as Snow4Aaron, what country was it taken in? I'm not familiar with the country listed under yourt name. Thanks.

Thanks for the photos. What was the water temperature?

Oh god please tell me you didn´t release a paddletail newt into a local river......

hey! thanks, was just a photo experience for caudata competition, I did it with all my newts but I never release none of them into nature. I took in july all my newts in a big bag with many boxs, each one with a diferent newt, the camera, the other objectives, the trifoot, lens and spend a day in a small strem in the remote montains of the interior of island on a beautiful place.I have bought in june 4 padletaills and I keep at the present the same number of them. the pH of the water was 7,6 ; amonium levels were 0,1 and the temperature was 16ºC (this in july). Thanks all,

Eljorgo

You took captive newts, put them into a river, and took their picture?

Do you not understand the possibility of disease transmission?

The risk of indroducing nonnative pathogens (and having the newt itself escape) makes this practice quite unadvisable...it also stresses your pets.

I agree that this is a highly irresponsible thing to do. There is already a problem with BD (chytrid) in the Iberian peninsula, and there is a host of other diseases that can be introduced, both brought with the newts from their origin in Asia, and picked up along the way during the export/import process.
BD has been shown to kill fish populations in captivity, and ranaviruses can jump hosts into chelonians and possibly squamates (it doesn't infect mammals simply because we are a few degrees too warm).
You could also transport diseases from the wild to your captive stock, as well as causing a lot of unnecessary stress to your animals.
There are a number of threatened species in the Iberian peninsula (I am not certain what amphibians are found on Madeira) that you can put particularly at risk by doing this. Even if there aren't many species on the island, it can still become another potential source of disease outbreaks by accidental transportation by human activity.

If you weren't aware of these facts beforehand, even though it should be common sense, please familiarize yourself with them now, and don't take this sort of risk again.

As Chris said, the risk of transmiting diseases is something to be very worried about, specially since your animals are WC, and you have no idea what they might be carrying.

Last edited:
I don't think there are any native amphibians in Madeira, just introduced Rana perezi.

This title is completely misleading. I got all excited cause I thought I was going to see some pics of P. labiatus in situ and boy was I disapointed.:mad: What a rip off.

I don't think there are any native amphibians in Madeira, just introduced Rana perezi.

Thanks for the information, Nate. Even though there are no natives, it is still an irresponsible thing to do!

Chris

This title is completely misleading. I got all excited cause I thought I was going to see some pics of P. labiatus in situ and boy was I disapointed.:mad: What a rip off.

I have to agree that Eljorgo's original post was a bit misleading, although I wouldn't completely blame him, as he isn't a native English speaker.

On the releasing of his captive labiatus into a local river for a photo opp, well...that's another story.

Irresponsibility in that? Since my childhood I remember the walks with my father in the woods. I Meet as well I´ve learned and identified almost all species of animals and plants. There were plenty of years within the laurelforest, with is incredibly rich in forest plant species, therefore very low in animal species. Anyone minimally inside the business about what is the Macaronesia in Atlantic knows this perfectly. At Madeira island we have only one species of lizard that exist from sea level until the 500 meters in altitude. We do not have any species of amphibians. Nothing, 0, none. The few "Rana perezi" are concentrated in hot waters since the 0m to 250metros generally. These photos and this place are at more than 800 meters altitude, which of course, there are no more animals without being mosquitoes, spiders and worms. Being located so far off, and have no other species of amphibians, lizards, mammals, fish what's the problem? What is the problem to let out some salamanders that spend their lives inside a prison and takes them to a place so green and full of plants to open their horizons even for half an hour ... I do not understand what is the irresponsibility in giving such a nice experience to the newts and at the same time take some pics?
Chip.

to let out some salamanders that spend their lives inside a prison and takes them to a place so green and full of plants to open their horizons even for half an hour ... I do not understand what is the irresponsibility in giving such a nice experience to the newts and at the same time take some pics?

I think some may take offense to the suggestion that captive newts live out their lives in a prison- but I'm not going to get into that.

The irresponsibility of releasing captive newts, even for a few moments, has been pretty clearly explained above- although Madeira has no native amphibians, the rivers eventually reach the sea, no? Not to mention some species of fungus, related to BD, have been known to infect species of vascular plants and invertebrates; according to you, Madeira is rather abundant in insect and plant life.

I hope I don't come off as offensive, as I'm certainly not trying to be. Like the others, I am just attempting to explain the consequences that the releasing of captive animals can have on an environment.

Hey to you have an Idea:

madeira.jpg

1-My house place.
2-Local were the pictures were taken from
3-Big city
4-Airport

I said, And I say again: I didn´t and I don´t have intentions to release any padlles in laurelforest waters.:mad: I bought 4 and I have 4. I can prove, photos I have Tons of them:wacko:.

What is DB nathan?:confused: don´t take an offence the word prision!! I also keep 5 spiecies remember? I´m not saying bad of what others do, but I also do. do you understand?

Last edited:
General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back