Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Got my Male Paramesotriton deloustali!!!!

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Hello everyone I finally got a male deloustali thanks to friend and member Greewok! He has been together with my two females for about three weeks now. He has a bad attitude and one of my female tail tips has been chewed on bad. The three newts are in a 5ft 75 gallon tank, so plenty of room for three animals. He has a nice tail stripe, but his cloca has not shown signs of breeding yet. The temp. in the tank is between 68-70f degree's, and from what I've read thats a good temp for them to breed. Below are some pictures of my new male. Thanks again GREEWOK!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Below are pictures of my male.

Attachments

• P1010001.jpg
    P1010001.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 389
  • P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 408
  • P1010003.jpg
    P1010003.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 949
  • P1010004.jpg
    P1010004.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 569

paul_b

Reaction score
AW: Got my Male Paramesotriton deloustali!!!!

Hi Chuck,
its a beauty - good luck with them!
.... The temp. in the tank is between 68-70f degree's, and from what I've read thats a good temp for them to breed. ....
In my opinion this ist to warm to bring them in right breeding conditions!
I would lower the temperature down to 15 °C.
Paul

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Thank you Paul. I currently don't have a chiller to lower water temp, but I will try ice cubes over a week to drop their tank temp. Thanks again.

Chuck

paul_b

Reaction score
AW: Re: Got my Male Paramesotriton deloustali!!!!

To lower the temperature in my tanks I use a vent on a small part of the water surface, where it streams strongly. This lowers the temp approximately for 2 °C.
I also use water change.
But I also have a colder room.

Paul

Attachments

• vent.JPG
    vent.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 304

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Re: AW: Re: Got my Male Paramesotriton deloustali!!!!

This lowers the temp approximately for 2 °C.
For anyone who is clueless about Centrigrade, that is about 4°F (e.g., from 68F down to 64F). In my experience, this is believable. Extra ventilation has a bigger effect than one would expect. Ice cubes and cold packs generally have a lot less effect than one would expect.

Given the rarity of this species in captivity, I would suggest that these animals are worth a substantial effort to get the right conditions for breeding. Good luck with them, Chuck!

cichlidjedi

Reaction score
Paul and Jennewt,

Thank you for all the input. I have moved all my newts tanks out of my warmer fish room to try and get some breeding this winter. I have done water changes today and got tank temps down to 64f or 18c and plan on by this weekend to drop them to around 60f and 15c. I'll do three times a week water changes to keep tank temps down. Problem I have is basement of house stays around 68f/20c degrees at room temperature. I had to pull them out of my fish room that averages about 77f/25c degrees. As soon as spawning behavior starts I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures and post them. If you guys don't mind giving further input on helping with egg development and tadpole growth I will have many questions. All my breeding experience is in cichlids and other fish and I have breed Whites tree frogs many years ago other than that newts are a new animal group I enjoy and hopefully will breed. I have had some newts in the past, but mostly single animals. Sorry if I ask a lot of ID questions and may be a newbie right now, but I learn fast and hopefully I can pull my weight by providing healthy captive breed animals to other members. Thanks again for all the advice.

Chuck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!