Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

my axolotl in "spring fever"

T

thya

here are some new pictures i wanted to share - this is my little guy "koernchen"

all normal an relaxed:
Koernchen1208.jpg

and in the mood for mating:
Koernchen1208_2.jpg

:p
unfortunately his queen of hearts "ampion" isnt interested in him at all currently - she hid away laving him all alone in his excitement :( ;)

Ampion42.jpg

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Thya,

What lovely photos you have there. I see you have for them a lovely home with hiding places and plants. And both of them look well-fed!

However, sometimes when the axolotl's gills are curled forwards, it could mean they are stressed. Im sure you are a good axolotl guardian and want your babies to feel all comfy. I would suggest you might like to see if there are strong water currents in the tank. If you have a filter, check that its not creating strong swirling currents, it may be making your axolotls stressed. Also check that the water temperature is not too high. An ideal temperature would be around 17-18 degrees celsius. It should not go beyond 24 degrees celsius for a duration of time as axolotls can feel stressed from high water temperature and get sick more easily.

Also its generally better to use clean fine sand on the bottom of the tank rather than gravel. This is because axolotls feed by almost a 'vacuum-like" action with a big gulp and may ingest in the gravel in the process. The gravel can cause impaction (being stuck in the gut) and can make your axolotls sick or even die.

Feel free to ask around if you have any questions. There are plenty of experts on this site who can definitely assist you.

Best regards

T

thya

thank you very much! im glad you like them.

i know about all these facts and i obey all the needed rules to keep healthy animals. ;)

in koernchens case his gills were curled and more red that usual because of his courtship behaviour. (as written already) he normally looks like in the first picture.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Aww im glad they are under the hands of a capable owner! Their happy smiling faces says it all really :happy:

T

thya

im glad you say so!
before i got them i have been informing myself about their needs for several months. and i am still eager to learn :p

as for the gravel: i know that its not the most perfect choice but the two dragons have been staying with me for almost a year now, and i even had this kind of gravel when they were half the size they are now (~24cm | 9.4") - they never had any problems with digestion or anything, even if gravel is swallowed it goes through with ease. i chose gravel because it is easier to keep clean than sand.

kira

Reaction score
as for the gravel: ...they never had any problems with digestion or anything, even if gravel is swallowed it goes through with ease.

No problems....yet! LOL

Once again, very nice photos. Your axies are beautiful.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
The extreme forward-pointing of the wildtype's gills are cause for concern. It certainly looks stressed to me.

T

thya

@kira, they havent had problems when they were half this size, and now they are even bigger, so i dont see why you think that i should get in trouble.

@kaysie you dont seem to read what i wrote: he was performing a courtship display and turned back to normal afterwards. of course he was excited! but thats quite normal when he wants to mate with a female dont you think? :(

havent you ever seen axolotls mating? the male places little sperm piles on the ground and then starts to push the female around the tank until she eventuall wipes over them with her backside. part of this behavior is a raised blood circulation. if you see this as a cause for concern may it be then.

ad.: the "extreme forward pointing" of his gills was because he was in motion and in the midst of turning around to the other side...

the reactions i get in this community are quite saddening to be honest... i mean all of you see that my animals are happy and healthy, still you state what im saying is wrong and that i should be concerned about their health.

paullism

Reaction score
I think your taking it the wrong way.

Kaysie & Kira were just offering some advice, they are both know a lot when it comes to Axolotls. They are just wanting to make sure your pets are healthy, that they live a long life and that you as an owner don't suffer from the misfortune of having one become sick or even die by some thing that could of been avoided.

Now whether or not you choose to accept their advice that is completley at your discretion.

Thanks

T

thya

well that was what i got for every post i made here since i signed up with this site: "advice".
i am always open for concrit, but looking at many of the axolotl pictures here actually makes me want to cry -

i would never dare to say anything if i ever had problems with my animals, but they are both healthy and live a happy live i assume, because they both act like a healthy axolotl should.

i just wanted to share my pictures on this community because i was hoping people would enjoy them, and i wanted to share thoughts and opinions - i dont think you have followed my activities here, but most of what i wrote was pulled down as being wrong when it wasnt (see my reputation for example). i happily would adapt to all these allegations if the result would be strong and healthy axolotl: but the complete opposite is the case. and this is really sad...

crazyfishlady

Reaction score
I would have to agree with Thya. The "advice" given about the gills was already stated by one user and the one that posted the thread had left feedback. To post the same thing about the gills but, rewording it, just seems redundant or pointless.

A

AmandaLyne

Question how did you get such awesome pictures? I have trie over and over but it always seems to get reflections in the glass? I tried with and without a flash.

By the way they are gorgious looking. :lame:

Greatwtehunter

Reaction score
I don't think any of you will get an answer because it looks like Alice may deactivated her membership, unless theres something wrong with computer again:rolleyes: it shows her as a guest.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!