Feeding Times.

inkozana

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Stef
Hi guys,
I have two juvinile axolotls, a golden and a wildtype (unsure of the sex, obviously they are too young) and am wondering how often I should be feeding them and what?

Lately I have been feeding them 40mls of blackworm through a fish feeder, a photo of one is attached.
The worms will slowly wriggle through the holes, Fletcher and Pudding wait for them below. However Fletcher has figured out that if he sits on top of the feeder he can get to them faster.

I'd like to move them over to earthworms or something that doesn't cost me as much money.
The blackworms will last in the tank for about a week but sometimes they are too hard to find for my babies.

Thanks.

Earthworms are fine, just cut them up. I feed my juvies once a day.

Hi Stef!

Like Kira wrote, you can feed your juveniles once a day - afternoons or evenings are good because they are more active then.

You can feed them all kinds of foods - earthworms are considered the best, but remember that variety is also important. Most of the things they eat can be found in a garden. Just think of what they would normally find swimming or sinking down to the bottom of a lake.

Caudate Culture has two pretty torough articles, one on types of foods:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods.shtml

And one on the nutritional value of those foods:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/foods2.shtml

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back