Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Confirm ID and status enquiry.

eFaN

Reaction score
:happy: Hey pple. really new here! :happy:

Just got my newt and wondering if he looks ok (i find him rather skinny,not sure if its normal.) and whether its really Paramesotriton chinensis ???

here are the pics :

wartyphotbck.jpg
Topshot.jpg

warty.jpg

warty2.jpg

Had him for 2 days now, No problem eating so far (been feeding em frozen bloodworms).

Thanks!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
It doesn't look terribly skinny. I've never kept this species, but I wouldn't say it's overly thin.

vide

Reaction score
It looks like a healthy newt but it could do with some fattening up so no need to hold back on the food. At least for a while untill it starts looking a bit stalkier. That big picture is grate btw!
Good luck! / Vide

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like it might be male. Not overly thin, just feed it every day. Beautiful photos by the way.

Ingo

Reaction score
AW: Confirm ID and status enquiry.

Hello efan,

only frozen bloodworms are not a very meaty diet.
Try to feed also earthworms and so on.

Greetings Ingo

audrey

Reaction score
I actually think you may have a female - but a better pic of the cloaca and tail would probably be helpful. Chinensis females tend to have a bit larger cloaca's then other species. But the females have longer thinner tails which seems to be what yours looks like from the first photo. Your newt is also for sure on the thin side for this species - it does not look sickly but they are quite large robust newts.
I would suggest feeding it pieces of chopped nightcrawler. They really love them and they are nutritional and will help it put on healthy weight.

eFaN

Reaction score
alrite i try to get some pictures of the cloaca and tail area. Here in singapore its really hard to get live food like earthworms etc. Most readily available are usually things like mealworms and bloodworms. iis it alrite if i feed it small mealworms occasionally?

and for those who owns this specie, how is the behaviour? do they swim around actively etc? mine spends most of the time under the "cave",walk around sometimes during the day and at night its more active, walk around the tank, go up my driftwood etc.

eFaN

Reaction score
hey everyone.

not sure if its possible but can anyone roughly guess my newt's age (estimated) with the provided pictures?:p

age.jpg

age3.jpg

age2.jpg

Thanks.

Gregh

Reaction score
Wow... I've never been so conflicted. That newt is simulataneously beautiful, and oddly resemblign somethign that would rip you in half in H.P Lovecraft o_O

eFaN

Reaction score
Wow... I've never been so conflicted. That newt is simulataneously beautiful, and oddly resemblign somethign that would rip you in half in H.P Lovecraft o_O

lol :p

anyway, i got another one for my tank. but this one is more green and tail is abit different. is the green one chinensis too??? :confused:

newboy1000.jpg

green.jpg

comparee the former and new ..
smaller.jpg

thanks!

Yahilles

Reaction score
Incredible pictures.

Yes, both ones are chinensis, but probably different sexes or/and geographical races.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1