Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

How to take picture of Axi's???

A

AmandaLyne

This may be stupid but how is everyone getting such good shots of their axis?? Everytime i get some they are either blury or the flash has reflected off the glass? I have Rebel xti. PLEASE help me take some better pictures LOL

Aquatic

Reaction score
Without a doubt it's HARD. Here is the best I could get of a male axie I have. I was desperately trying to get a shot of his gonads. This is the best I could do.
SeansChristmasPagent031.jpg

I don't think I accomplished much.

geosheets

Reaction score
ahhh, an area I have some experience with... not necessarily good experience but here are a few tips that I have learned about in tank photography. Some or all of these may be obvious to most but it took me countless hours to figure it out. Maybe because I'm a slow learner.

First of all, make sure your glass that you are shooting through is spotless.

Flash reflection - I have found that a 30-45 degree angle(up, down, sideways) to the glass and keeping the camera lens as close as possible reduces this to almost never an issue.

Blur - this is mostly from movement. I have to rest my hand on something or use a tripod to keep from blurring my photos.

Missed/blurred shots from digital cameras - This is where you miss the shot you wanted because there is a delay from the time you push the button to the time the photo snaps. This is how it was explained to me. Almost all digital cameras have a 2 stage button. If you hold the button down half way, the autofocus adjusts constantly while you are holding it at the half down position. While holding it half down, if you press it the rest of the way down, you will get the picture you wanted as it will snap right away. I hope this makes sense... I am obviously not good at explaining it as I have spent hours trying to teach my wife this and she still doesn't get it. One more note, the batteries will run down more quickly if you are using this method as the camera requires more power to constantly refocus so just be aware of that.

chelsbels

Reaction score
If your tank is in the natural light, then wait for the sun to go down before you take your pics.

mouseninja

Reaction score
I found I got better pics when I put the lens up against the glass...

Hope this helps!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1