Question: dirty Paddle tail

Josue

Reaction score
Country
United States
My paddle tail newt ran away and i found him before he died. Problem is that he is now covered in dust and hair. How can i clean him.

Just put him in some water, the dust should come off eassily. Don´t try to scrub it, since you could seriously damage it´s skin.
I´m sure you´ve learned the lesson, but for the safety of your newt and your mental health, make sure you have a tightly fitting lid. If necessary custom build it yourself, it´s pretty easy.
Good luck and welcome to the forum :)

Rinse it thoroughly with cool dechlorinated water. If you need to get your hands wet and gently pull off any fuzz or whatever is on it from your floor. Make sure you have a tight lid on it's tank. It will be less likely to try to escape if your water is cool, dechlorinated and cycled. It will also highly appreciate some kind of hiding place.

Put him back in the aquarium, and allow the water to take off the loose dust, then manually remove anything left clinging to him. Its most important to get him back into water to rehydrate him. If he tried to escape the aquarium there might be something wrong with the tank - check water quality and temperature. Is it kept alone or with other paddle tails - if he has tankmates watch for aggression. If you haven't already, have a look at the care sheet at http://www.caudata.org/cc/species/Pachytriton/Pachytriton.shtml

Chris

thanks for your advice but the spider webs are not coming off

Try letting it gently swim between your fingers. Be very gentle, and hopefully the spider webs will loosen. If they don´t come out, don´t panic, and wait to see if the newt sheds, which will rid him off everything.

tanks for the advice he he shed his skin to day and now he is clean. Yeah i fixed the problem of him getting out.

Is it normal for theme not to eat while they shed or is it just the cold weather?

It is normal for them not to eat while shedding.

hwo long to they stop eating for

Usually for a short while. If your newt is not eating, check that all conditions are adequate. After all it wouldn´t have tried to scape if there wasn´t something wrong.

Yeah did tests on the water and the ammonia level was about .75 ppm

I hope all go well with him/her....

Ammonia isn't the only level you have to worry about.

How are your Nitrates, Nitrites, pH, Alkilinity, and temp?

Anyone of these can cause him/her to try and escape besides ust being curious.

If you can, try and lower your water level to the point where they can't climb out.

I hope these all help and good luck with the recovery.

thanks for the advice
the nitrates, nitrites, pH, and alkaline are fine. and the temperature is about 65 F

Must have just wanted to go exploring the rest of the house........

Good to hear your water is up to snuff, good luck with it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back