Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tank side filter vs. undergravel filter

Samlynn8

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm doing the research required to get an axolotl and in looking at filters i came across an issue. Which would be better for an axolotl, a mounted tank side filter or an under-gravel filter, thanks a bunch

Jacquie

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Undergravel filters are not recommended when keeping axolotls, the wastes become stockpiled beneath the substrate and this contributes to water quality issues as these wastes are not removed from the water.

Undergravel filters are also a hassle when it comes to cleaning them out as all of the muck trapped by the filter will come soaring forth when the filter is lifted out and muck up the water - adds a lot to the tank maintenance workload!

Undergravel filters are also designed to work under a gravel substrate. Gravel smaller than two centimeters will be swallowed, this causes the axolotl to become impacted and can be fatal. Larger gravel needs to be shifted around in order to clean it underneath where the muck will sift down and accumulate.

The biggest issue for most filters is water flow. Axolotls prefer still water and any water current will stress them. The water current needs to be diffused as to not disturb the axolotls, this can be done by using a spray bar (may take a little ingenuity), or placing an obstruction in front of the flow to break the current (large rock, ornament, plants, etc), or directing the filter's outtake to the tank wall (some filters are adjustable).

The best substrate is to use appropriate sand such as childrens playsand, pool filter sand or aquarium sand for 'fresh water' aquariums or have a barebottom tank. A bare bottom tank is the easiest to keep clean but is not as 'aesthetically' pleasing on the eye lol.

For selecting an appropriate filter for your axolotls I would suggest you read this article.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Samlynn,

The decision to decide which filter to use is indeed an important one. Most importantly, you must try find a balance in obtaining the best possible mechanical, biological and chemical filtration.

Which filter to get is also determinant on other factors such as size and volume of your tank, number of axolotls you are going to keep in there, the depth of water you intend to fill your tank up to etc. You can actually use a combination of 'filtration/aeration" mathods, as long as you can ensure that the current flow is not excessive.

In the two types of filter you have looked at, the undergravel filter and 'side-mounted' which i assume is waterfall type filter, i would say that waterfall type filter is more appropriate. The main reason being that the gravel required for undergravel filter type systems tend to be inappropriate in size for axolotls. THe waterfall type filter is thus superior in this regard. However, you must ensure that the tank is filled up enough with water for the waterfall filter system to work effectively. You should also make sure the flow rate is low.

There are various other types of filters available, which you might like to consider. Some may seem more expensive up front but really is much more beneficial and cost effective in the long term. I would highly recommend an external canister filter (or mini external canister if you have a smaller tank) because it provides the best mechanical/biological/chemical filtration. Personally, i use an external canister filter for my tank, supplemented by airstone aeration.

You might like to take a look at this site that compares and contrasts the filter types.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/filters.shtml

This would hopefully help you with your decision.

Regards.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1