Aquarium Cooling (Temperature Control) Help

Zeeman3000

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Zach
Hi Everyone, I'm currently housing two adult axolotl in an Aqua One AR 850 Aquarium and I'm having some trouble with keeping my temperature at an ideal level for the two axolotl, I'm familiar with the ice bottle/ice pack method but I am not generally around for all the hot, day-time hours to keep rotating new bottles in and out. We've just come into Summer down here in Australia where it can get quite hot and I'm starting to worry about the little guys, I was wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction for a more advanced cooling setup for my aquarium, I've done some searching on google but haven't found anything appropriate for my aquarium. I understand the setups can be quite costly, but I'm willing to invest in one if it will mean a bigger and better life for my two little friends, If anyone in Australia knows of a place where I could pick one up or have it delivered I'd really appreciate a message. Thanks for any help in advance :)

Hi zeeman,

Bizarrely i just replied to another post about cooling methods. I shan't repeat all in exact detail again but here is a guide that may assist you;

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cooling.shtml

I am a big advocate of investing in a marine chiller. It may be expensive up front but really is a worthwhile investment. There are a series of new chillers that cater to smaller aquariums. There are many top of the line chillers such as Aqua-one, Teco etc. but if you want something more economical, you can try googling for "Resun" or "Hailea". There are chillers from $250 upwards. My current chiller is able to cool up to 400L of water and i paid $400 bucks for a brand new one. There are cheaper pre-loved ones around as well. You can try asking your local aquarium supply shop. Alternatively, you may want to have air conditioning in the room. These are the only two 'longer term' solutions that can somewhat ensure minimal temperature fluctuations over the entire summer.

The other methods i feel are not that effective over the entire summer and risk getting more temperature fluctuations which are even more stressful for axolotls. Plus, its tedious replacing ice bricks after ice bricks, especially when you can't be home all day.

Cheers

Thanks for the suggestions Ray, I've already been over the page you linked on cooling methods and found it quite useful, if you don't mind me asking, did you pick your chiller up in Australia, if so, whereabouts? Cheers, Zach

I might add that I also have two air-conditioning units set up in the in the room, what temperature would you suggest setting the air-conditioning units to? The only problem with the air-conditioning units is that if I leave them on for too long I tend to suffer from the chilling conditions, perhaps I need to invest in a jumper first before a marine chiller? lol, Any further advice on the air-conditioning temperature would be appreciated, Cheers.

Hi again,

Yes i did buy both my chillers in sydney. The first aqua-one one that i got was a pre-loved one that i have bidded for on ebay and it was delivered to my house. The second one i got was a hailea 150A that i ordered in from an aquarium shop locally and went to pick it up. This was the brand new one i got. If you enquire and express interest in ordering in a chiller, you can actually arrange your local aquarium shop to place an order for you. So, in my experience, its more worthwhile to do your research online first, comparing various brands and prices rather than leaving it to the hands of your pet shop to recommend one for you.

Most importantly, look that the chiller has the capacity to chill the volume of water in your tank. There is no point getting one that cannot effectively chill the volume of water you have. Not only does it not reach the temperature you desire, you risk getting the chiller damaged. Obviously there is no need to get a super powerful chiller that is an overkill and cost an arm and leg to boot.

Secondly, check that the chiller is a reputable brand that has spare parts easily available. I like the cheaper "Resun" and "Hailea" because although economical, a lot of aquarium shops stock them and you can always have it repaired readily in the event of damage. If you go for some obscure brand, there might not be repair service or spare parts easily available.

Thirdly, make sure your tank can actually use a chiller. For example, i use an external canister filter. I simply connect my chiller to the "outflow" tubing such that filtered water is cooled down before returning back to the tank. If you use another filter type, you might like to look at how you can connect a chiller in.

One advantage of chillers is that it normally doesn't work merely as a 'chiller'. A lot of chillers allow you to adjust and set a temperature to a decimal place. The chiller will aim to maintain the tank water at this temperature. For eg. if you set at 16 degrees celsius. It will keep to this temp in 35 degrees celsius summer and also this temperature at 4 degrees celsius winter. Therefore, even in the coldest winter, your chiller is acutally a 'heater'. The benefit is that throughout the year, there is almost no temperature fluctuations. It depends on your aim though, because you can also stop the chiller during winter months to promote the drop in temp to induce breeding.

You can actually also order marine chillers online and arrange for delivery. I shall private message you a link you can go to which shows you a list of chillers and prices which you can place an order for delivery throughout australia.

Air conditioning can be a double-edged sword really. On one hand it does cool the ambient temperature. (Therefore, i will logically think of setting it to 18 degrees). However, it affects everyone in that room and i can see why you would need a jumper especially if you intend to keep it on all the time. It can also be rather expensive in terms of utilities, when you compare it to a chiller which will be on 'standby' mode when the water temp is within range.

Cheers

You can also pick up a chiller on ebay.

You can also pick up a chiller on ebay.

ad: Also the electrical companies say that you save money if you keep your air con at 25C. If you keep yours at 25C, the water in your tank should stay around 20ish?

zeeman

Chelsbels and I have the same tank as you have.
I would be interested to know where abouts you are ? We are in sydney.
This what we do.

1. We have artifical plants, that way we do not have to turn on the lighting unit.

2. We have removed out lighting unit.

3. We have three 2 litre drink bottles on continual rotation between the tank and freezer.

This allows us to maintain a temperature of between 19 & 20 degrees C.

If you would any further assistance with your tank please feel free to message.

Good luck

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back