Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Part of my axi's tail looks like it's dead.

A

AmandaLyne

I just noticed part of my juvis tail looks like its falling off. Its a very small part at the very end of his/her tail. It looks like dead skin at the end of his tail...Is this normal or is he/hurt? Is he/she ok???

SarahandRich

Reaction score
Re: Partr of my axi\s tail looks like its dead.

I just noticed part of my juvis tail looks like its falling off. Its a very small part at the very end of his/her tail. It looks like dead skin at the end of his tail...Is this normal or is he/hurt? Is he/she ok???

Is it in the tank alone, or with buddies? At the juvenile stage, they often mistake moving tankmates as food, and someone accidentally loses a finger/leg/tail/gill etc. Keep an eye out for any infection, and check your water parameters regularly. Unless you see signs of infection, it is probably nothing to worry about, and in about three weeks (if it drops off) it will regenerate... Just be vigilant and if in doubt, you could always try to upload a pic and someone will help you further. Good luck

A

AmandaLyne

Here is the best picture i can get. He/she does have a tankmate both are the same size and i have lots of hiding places. Yet to find out if they are make and female like i was told. I sure hope he is ok i am worried.

007-1.jpg

A

AmandaLyne

anyone?????

ferret_corner

Reaction score

I'd guess one of the tankmates took a nip & what didn't get pulled off was damaged & is dying back.

Sharon

kira

Reaction score

I'd guess one of the tankmates took a nip & what didn't get pulled off was damaged & is dying back.

Makes sense.

I would worry about it unless your axie begins to look unwell or you get fungus.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score

Hi AmandaLyne,

Your axolotl's tail looks fine to me. I can't see any sign of a fresh injury and the tail looks healthy. By the way, from this picture, I'm still guessing "girl". ;)

-Eva

A

AmandaLyne

Yeah i am thinking they are both girls LOL kinda a bummer cause i was promised a boy and girl but we shall see i guess

paullism

Reaction score
Hi Amada

We have 3 Axolotls in our tank and pieces of tail missing (tips) seem to be a weekly matter. I would not be too concerned.

Good luck

inkozana

Reaction score
To be honest, just from seeing the picture it doesn't look like a tankmate bite.
In my opinion the tail probably got caught at the end when it was developing, causing it to grow a bit funny.
Nothing to be concerned about.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!