Question: Lowest temperature for survival(besides freezing)

zonbonzovi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
zonbonzovi
Hello-

We are in the midst of a winter storm here and I lost power to the house 36 hours ago. The outside temperature is hovering between 24-36 degrees Farenheit, I have no inside thermometer(the room the axies are contained in is usually controlled by a thermostat set at 60 degrees F). I checked in on the pair today and the water was cold but with no indication of being near freezing or developing ice crystals). My best guess is that the room they are in is averaging about 45 degrees F. I anticipate the power being restored within a couple of days at worst. Does anyone know if they will experience any ill effects at these sustained low temperatures?

from the axolotl.org pages...
'...Axolotls do not hibernate, so it is not helpful to cool them below 10 °C, although they shouldn't suffer unduly if kept at these lower temperatures.
Some hobbyists in temperate regions maintain axolotls in outdoor ponds. These ponds may even ice over during the winter. Provided the winter isn't particularly harsh or long, axolotls can do quite well under outdoor conditions. Obviously, a food source must be present during the rest of the year.'

My guess would be that they will be ok if you can keep the tank from freezing.

I had a pair of adult axolotls outside for a couple months. The barrel froze over and they did fine. They didn't eat much. We are experiencing a big cold spell so I decided to bring them inside. I expected they would breed faster in the real cold water but they didn't. The ones inside laid eggs and the ones outside didn't.

Your axolotls will be fine even if the water does ice over a little.

I keep my axies in a pond in a partly-heated room. Their water temp goes to 10C (50F) or slightly lower in the coldest part of winter. It stays this cold for weeks. They haven't complained!

When the power comes back, be careful that the tank does not heat up too quickly. Going from warm to cold quickly is not so much of a problem, but warming up is more of a problem as gas has to dissipate from the water (and from the bodies of the animals) - cold water dissolves more gas than warm water.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back