Sick axolotl!!!???

mitchell101

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Mitchell
I believe i have a sick axolotl!
I've had my 3 axolotls for 2 months and never had a problem.
Just then I walked into my room and saw Lizzy, my white albino half on her side.
Does this mean that she is sick?
If she is how do i cure it?
I'll keep you posted to see if anything else occurs.
I have just recently changed the water level.
It used to be a lot lower now it is high, would be anything to do with making Lizzy sick?
She is eating great still and i don't know what the problem is.
I've been feeding her worms, pellets, bugs and grubs and I'm now going to buy some other types of worms
to keep them healthy.
I only have pH tester and i will get new testing kits tomorrow or the day after.
Please Help!

Testing the water may throw some light on what may be going on, so when you do the tests for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite let us know the results. What do you have on the bottom of your tank ?.
Finally what temperature is the tank water currently at ?
Axolotl are very good at keeping us on our toes, my juvenile worried me for a bit as he looked like he was lurking in a corner with his legs splayed..he seems more than fine now.:wacko:

If you could give us the details on your water conditions when you test, especially nitrate, nitrite and ammonia, that would be most helpful. Describing your setup would also be important. How big is the tank? What do you use on the bottom? Etc.

Testing the water may throw some light on what may be going on, so when you do the tests for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite let us know the results. What do you have on the bottom of your tank ?.
Finally what temperature is the tank water currently at ?
Axolotl are very good at keeping us on our toes, my juvenile worried me for a bit as he looked like he was lurking in a corner with his legs splayed..he seems more than fine now.:wacko:
I don't have any substrate anymore, only a few river stones for decorations in the corners.
I used to have a the whole bottom full of river stones but it got too messy.
I'm thinking of getting sand, should i get sand or just leave it bare?
The tank is 80x40 and the height of the water is about 60cm.
I have two plants in with my 3 axolotls.
The axolotls are non-stop eating but they aren't fat.
Their bellies are the same size as their heads and i won't let them get fatter.
Any other information you guys need apart from the testing because i am getting that probably tomorrow?

On your other thread, I asked about what kind of filtration you have, as you mentioned cleaning problems. Also, what kind of food do you use? On another thead you posted photos of the axies. Can you post a photo of the whole tank?

A little bit of floating is not uncommon, but if she is still like that, and tipped on her side (?) that doesn't sound normal.

On your other thread, I asked about what kind of filtration you have, as you mentioned cleaning problems. Also, what kind of food do you use?

A little bit of floating is not uncommon, but if she is still like that, and tipped on her side (?) that doesn't sound normal.
I use a submersible filter with a spray bar.
I mostly use worms from our garden, big ones, about 10cm long. I don't cut them up i feed them whole. I also feed pellets and rarely i throw in a goldfish that i breed.
They eat non-stop. But they arn't fat because i feed them and keep them at the correct weight.
Their bellies are the same size as their heads.

I don't have any substrate anymore, only a few river stones for decorations in the corners.
I used to have a the whole bottom full of river stones but it got too messy.
I'm thinking of getting sand, should i get sand or just leave it bare?

Bare bottom tank is the easiest to keep clean but not as pleasing on the eye as sand. Sand is the best substrate if you prefer a more natural look in the tank as it is easily passed when ingested and any muck sits on the surface of the sand making for easy spot and removal.

The tank is 80x40 and the height of the water is about 60cm.

That tank is a little on the small side for three axolotls. You will need to do more frequent water changes to keep the Ammonia levels under control.

I have two plants in with my 3 axolotls.

Most plants need light and axolotls don't care much for light. The best plants are those that are tolerant of dim conditions, such as java moss. If you have a lit tank, you will need a lot of hidey holes so the axolotls can get away from the light if it is bugging them.

There should be at least two hides per axolotl, this gives them a choice of hiding places so they can spend 'time out' from one another.

I've been feeding her worms, pellets, bugs and grubs and I'm now going to buy some other types of worms to keep them healthy.

Where do you obtain the worms, bugs and grubs from? You need to be very sure that the live food has not been exposed to any chemical fertilizers, weed killer, bug-off, etc that is used in the garden before being fed to the axolotls.

Any other information you guys need apart from the testing because i am getting that probably tomorrow?

What is the tank temperature? Axolotls need the water to be cold.

When you are purchasing test kits, if you haven't already got one - I would recommend you buy a tank thermometer to monitor that temperature during a hot Summer.

If the tank temperature climbs above 24C - this can very quickly lead to illness and death.

How frequently are you doing partial water changes and how much water are you replacing each time?

Is there any water current being caused by the filter? Axies prefer still water, any water flow will stress an axolotl.

Is Lizzy still on her side?

The temperature is around 18C.
Lizzy seems to be a bit better. I haven't seen her on her side again.
When i say on her side i mean she is on the part of my tank with no river stones and one side
she has both her legs on the ground and the other side both her legs are about 2cm off the ground. This normally means with goldfish that they don't have long to live and are going to die.
But Lizzy seems to be fine now.
There is no water current because i have a spray bar on my filter.
I change the water everyday because of all the poop and muck and everything in the dirt.
Some days i change about 25L but some i only change about 15.
I use a siphon.
Worms from backyard and some grubs and bugs from backyard.
Other there is a place about a 5 minute drive where there is loads of fallen down trees and stuff.
My dad and I move them and find grubs and bugs and worms under there.
No-one goes in there and there is no spray used.
The trees naturally fell over due to rot and other problems.
I have 3 hiding spots for my axolotls.
I know the tank is too small I am getting another tank soon though.
Thanks for your help everyone.
I will post a some pictures soon, later today because i am going out now.

Here are the pics of my tank, I haven't cleaned the tank today so it's really messy and murky.

Attachments

• AXOLOTS2 051.jpg
    AXOLOTS2 051.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 317
  • AXOLOTS2 052.jpg
    AXOLOTS2 052.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 297
Hi Mitchell,

I would fill that tank as much as possible! The more water volume the better, as axolotls are very messy little grots that release a lot of ammonia wastes and with three living together in a smaller tank the ammonia levels will increase very quickly if there is not sufficient water to dillute it.

When filling a tank you will need a lid. Leave about an inch clearance from the water surface to the tank lid and ensure the lids are secure with no gaps big enough for an axie to wriggle through - axolotls have been known to escape tanks.

Hi Mitchell,

I would fill that tank as much as possible! The more water volume the better, as axolotls are very messy little grots that release a lot of ammonia wastes and with three living together in a smaller tank the ammonia levels will increase very quickly if there is not sufficient water to dillute it.

When filling a tank you will need a lid. Leave about an inch clearance from the water surface to the tank lid and ensure the lids are secure with no gaps big enough for an axie to wriggle through - axolotls have been known to escape tanks.
Thanks.
I can't get the testing stuff today because it's late now and i couldn't get it before because i went out.
I might get it tomorrow but being christmas i probably won't be able to.
So i will definitely have it in two days.
So i will post the readings for all the things in two days.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back