Lack of appetite during breeding season?

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
My male T.dobrogicus is now on his breeding attire for the first time, and he has been eating very little(i mean very little...) for quite some time now(over a month). I´m not too worried because he seems healthy and active, but i was wondering if this is the usual thing? I understand the low temps will affect a newts appetite, but the female is eating well. I also guessed the urge to breed might affect his urge to eat, but he´s not trying too hard.
He refuses to eat worms, which were defenitely his favourite food and only accepts the odd bloodworm. I know some males of specific species can even die of hunger and exhaustion during breeding season, but i hadn´t heard of it happening with T.dobrogicus. Should i worry, or is this normal?

I have only had my Triturus dobrogicus for only a couple weeks now but when I first got the male he wasn't quite if full breeding dress and he ate like a pig. But now that he has been trying to woo the female I haven't seen him eat in awhile as well. I am new at keeping this species so I can't really comment on what the normal behaviour is.

I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. Male newts have breeding on the mind, food is an after thought. My males all slow down eating in the winter, and the females will eat a meal for 3 if you let them.

Thank you both for answering. I assumed it was normal....i´m just over-paranoid with this things, and since he really is eating too little, i freaked out a little.
I guess unless there are clear signs of severe weight loss or illness i shouldn´t worry....but that´s me, a worrier haha.

Hello

hi Azhael :)!, in my pair of T.dobrogicus the situation is like to your pair,....(Male was born in 2006, and female 2005) at actually the Male are very quietly, and not eat very much, female are more active than male, and eat normally.....

Bye

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back