Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A few questions before I begin breeding

Realm

Reaction score
Hi
I'm planning to breed my axolotls soon. I'm all set up, I just have two questions. Firstly, I have a few tanks set up so I can simulate changing day/night patterns, and I believe axolotls naturally breed near the end of winter. Therefore, I assume I should decrease light over a period of time and then increase it, but over how longer time and by how much?
Secondly, all I know of my axolotl's colour genetics is that they are all d/d. Is it possible to tell the colour phenotype of my axolotl's offspring without hatching them (so I can still humanely euthanize them) to determine the genetics of the parents?
Thanks.

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi Realm,

I think you will find that axolotls breed quite readily and easily, so that you don't need to go to too much trouble. Most people rather have the problem of preventing breeding. :rolleyes:

The basic color type will be obvious when the embryos have developed to the point that they are recognizeable as larvae - you can see if they are dark or light colored. Some pigments don't develop until after the larvae have hatched, though (even months afterwards), so that the final phenotype is only apparent in an adult axolotl (i.e., the dark freckles on a leucistic axolotl).

-Eva

Realm

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply! I really just want to experiment with the lighting, as one day I'd like to keep some more difficult species and perhaps use the lighting to my advantage for breeding.
I'm glad I don't have to raise many larvae to determine the genetics of my axolotls, I only have the resources to properly raise about 40-50 at the moment.

blueberlin

Reaction score
"Only" 40-50!? haha I'm lousy at math but let me see if I can figure this... say 50 cm per axolotl... say 40 axolotls, that's 2000 cm or 20 meters of aquarium length... 50 cm deep and 50 cm tall... that's.... um... scratch scratch... um... a lot of water! :p

Seriously, though - have fun breeding the little lotls. I don't know whether the lighting would make a difference to their breeding habits. Do keep us posted, then, won't you?

-Eva

Realm

Reaction score
Oops! I mean to raise 40-50 larvae. I could only raise about another 5-10 to adulthood, I have plenty of space ready to be used (I also keep other herps, and am quite proficient at building tanks).
If anyone wants to know I've kept the male in his own tank and am making there light period 20 minutes longer each day (sunrise 10 minutes earlier and sunset 10 minutes later each day) to a maximum of 14 hours. This seems rather fast so if it doesn't work I will decrease the rate of change considerably. From what I've read about the IU axolotl colony they decrease and then increase the light period over about 4 weeks.
I'm also decreasing the axolotls average water temperature by about 4 or 5 degrees.
Hopefully I will have some larvae soon!

blueberlin

Reaction score
You seem to know what you're about so maybe this info is superfluous but I would like to point out that you most likely will not get larvae if the male is in a tank on his own...

Ok just kidding. Have you tried just putting a pair together to see if they breed? My two adults have been breeding constantly - every 2-3 weeks - since April. I have separated them now, otherwise, I am sure they would still be at it.

I'm really interested in what you are doing. Hopefully someone of a more scientific bent than I will chime in at some point with input on the lighting variations. What I don't understand is increasing the hours of "daylight" while decreasing the water temperature - that seems contradictory to me?

-Eva

Realm

Reaction score
Haha, suppose not!
I believe the lighting mimics the end of winter and beginning of spring and summer, and the temperature just seems to help from what I've read.
The axolotls were in the same tank for most of there life (about 4 years apparently) with several others but none of them ever bred, who knows why...

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
The first time my axolotl reproduced was when I went on holiday. It was during a hotter summer than usual so their water temperatures where a little higher . When we left I shut all the curtains, to keep the sun and heat out ...we returned to something that resembled a snow scene . Maybe the reduction of heat and light stimulated something :rolleyes:

Realm

Reaction score
Maybe, thanks for sharing. There must be literature about inducing spawning somewhere, the scientific colonies have perfected the art of breeding axolotls. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Realm

Reaction score
I have, it's not extremely comprehensive, but I suppose that's not its purpose, its still an excellent resource none the less. I think I've found almost everything available for free on the internet.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1