Tiger Salamander Shed??

misky99

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does anyone know how often a tiger sheds? or what can help a tiger shed? thank you.

It depends. If its still growing, it will shed more often. I suspect they shed every week or two. Keeping them at an appropriate moisture level is the best thing for helping them shed.

My experience has been that older salamanders shed every 3 weeks or so. But that is based on sheds that I can see. Tigers can and do eat their shed - some, due to that reason, I have never seen their shed.....so, I haven't observed the frequency with which they shed. I have noticed that directly before finding a shed, that the salamanders have taken a dip in the water bowl and then they begin rubbing on objects to apparently help with shed removal.

Disease and stress seem to also increase the frequency of shed.

How is your tiger that had the black spots? Did your other tiger(s) ever develop the disease?

The tiger got some of the spots back, so I am waiting for his next shed becauseit is nearing the last day of his treatment. the last time he shed was when the spots came off last time. I am disapointed with the return of the spots so I will l proabaly have to take him back to the vet to see what to do now.

When it came my other tiger, there has been no notice of spots on him so that is a good thing!!

I am sorry to hear that some of the spots have returned but it is great that your other tiger did not develop the problem. The one that had the black spots... I know you were keeping it quarantined from the other tiger ... and were you keeping it in a hospital tank on wetted white paper toweling that was changed frequently? Or might there have been a chance for re-infection via the substrate?

I never thought of that, I returned the salamander with the other one and did not change the substrate, It is possible that he could be reinfected by the substrate.
is it possible that he could be allergic to the coco fiber in the first place?
ugh this is frustrating. I have talked to someone who has alot of reptiles and things of that nature and she is going to make me a special blend of substates that is easy to burrow, and also easy to keep. I will let you know the mixture that we are going to use.

Hi Misky99
If it were me, I would discard the substrate and disinfect the tank using a diluted bleach solution. A tank disinfected with bleached must be rinsed, rinsed and rinsed again very thoroughly...to be on the safe side after disinfecting, a dechlorinator chemical can also be used in the tank. I would also disinfect any water dishes, etc in the tank....and discard or try to disinfect any live plants you may have. As your vet diagnosed an infection and the antibiotic treatment initially was effective, I would disinfect.

If the one tiger still has the black spots, move it to a hospital tank using white paper toweling that is moistened and changed daily...with crumpled moistened paper towels as hides. I would not place the two animals together until all signs of infection are gone and a few weeks have passed to assure that is the case.

Regarding a substrate using organic topsoil alone or mixed with coco-fiber is really the best. You don't want peat moss or sphagnum peat due to acidity. Pine and cedar bark/mulch must be avoided due to toxic volatile compounds. Other types of mulch, if course, can be sharp and may pose a hazard when the tiger lunges for food. Gravel should not be used for the same reason. Reptiles vs caudates have different tolerances including the need for light/heat. I'm not sure where you landed re stopping the use of a light bulb or UV light, but I would not use either. There is a chance that using these set up the situation that resulted in the infection as tigers have fragile skin.

Please keep us posted and best of luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back