Question: Another Axxie??

toffeebonbon

Reaction score
Country
England
Display Name
laura_kyneston
I already have one Axxie, a wild type, who is about two years old in a 5ft tank.

I am considering getting another one to keep with him.

Is this a good idea and are there any sort of guidelines i should follow when doing so?

Re: Antoher Axxie??

Hi

Sure, we keep 3 in our tank and don't find too many problems.
They occassionally have a nip at one another, just be a bit careful are feeding time, make sure they aren't next to one another if you hand feed.

Also ensure the following:

1. They have plenty of room to make a quick get away.
2. Two hiding spots per axie
3. They should be approximately the same size

Lastly you could place a divider between them at first, or if you have any trouble with them.

when you say hiding places what could i use? at the minute syd has a big cave at one end and two plants at the other.

Also what could i use to divide the tank?

does it matter what sex i buy?

It could be as simple as a piece of pvc pipe, or a terracotta pot, or you could purchase specific made hiding places for them from aquarium/pet shops.

Again, your aquarium/pet shops should be able to get you these or you could get a piece of clear perspex cut to the height and width of your tank

No it doesn't really matter what sex the other is, that is a personal choice, however if your not keen about the possiblilty of finding 150 eggs in your tank one day, then i would purchase one the same sex as the one you already have.

MOST IMPORTANT: Any new animal to be added to the tank should be quarantined for 30 days before being introduced to the aquarium. This prevents the spread of any possible disease the new animal may be carrying being passed to your present axolotl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back