Question: food-how much is too much?

Nattles88

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
I have 2 axies. One of them eats like a horse. I can feed him about 4 decent sized earthworms a day and he is still begging for more. The other one might eat a cube of frozen bloodworms every second day. Is this normal?

The only thing I can think of is that I got the first one froma breeder and Im pretty sure he was hand feed earthworms so thats why he went for them. I got the other one from a pet store and the girl behind the counter couldnt even tell me what they fed him. I could pretty much smell the chlorine in the water and he had hardly any gills so i thought he must just be a sad fishie.

How much should I feed an axie, is it normal for them to have such varying appetities?

Hi Nattles,

All axolotls are oppurtunistic feeders. Each axolotl is different as to how much it will eat and how quickly it will metabolise food.

The best way to ascertain if you are over or under feeding is to monitor the belly - the belly should be as wide as the axolotl's head - plump but not obese.

If the axolotl is looking a little on the lean side, increase feeding. If looking a little too fat, decrease feeding.

How old are your axolotls? If not certain, how long are they?

Adults only need be fed twice a week. Older Juveniles once every two or three days depending. Young juveniles should be feed once a day.

Hi Nattles,

The amount of food an axolotl consumes is actually multi-factorial. Factors include -

- The temperature of the water where increased temperature results in more voracious appetites,
- Variety and type of food offered. Some axolotls are more finicky feeders than others and the larger the variety of food offered, the more likely they would feed and obtain their nutritional requirements.
- The age of the axolotl whereby juveniles may consume more for rapid growth
- The reproductive stage. Breeding animals may consume more.
- The health status of the axolotl. Sick animals may become inappetant and anorexic.

It is quite common for axolotls to have varying appetites.

Every axolotl owner has slightly different feeding regimes. Personally to encourage feeding, i do the following:

1 - Feed axolotls in the evening where they are most actively 'hunting' for food.

2 - I feed my axolotls only once a day. Some owners feed them twice a day whereas some feed only every alternate day. I feel that sticking to a routine is best. My axolotls seem so know when its feeding time because they start getting really animated in their tank. Animals in general do better with a routine feeding plan.

3 - Offer a variety of food. I feed mine earthworms, axolotl pellets, bloodworms, blackworms, occasional treats of shrimp and deboned fish fillet. I also have a school of quarantined feeder fish (minnows) which i let the axolotls exercise a bit to earn their treat.

4 - Remove any uneaten food. Don't leave anything decomposing in the water.

5 - Ensure that the water parameters are ideal - pH neutral around 7, Ammonia and nitrite at 0, nitrates <60. Bad water parameters make axolotls inappetant.

6 - Ensure that tank conditions are comfortable. Hiding places, not too bright light or excessive water currents. Stressed axolotls don't feed well.

7 - Monitor temperature of water. Axolotls feed more when the temperature is higher. Anything under 10 degrees celsius and the axolotl may regurgitate the food normally in the form of a mucus covered bolus to prevent decomposition in the gut. What you can do is to offer the food in easily digestable bite size portions. For example chop an earthworm into 2-3cm strips rather than one entire earthworm if the water conditions are very cold.

8 - I only feed my axolotls as much as they want to eat within a 5min duration. However, there are feeder fish on standby if they need a snack.

Hope this is helpful to you.

Cheers

i am not sure about their ages but i'll try and measure them. they are about the same length I think. I can possibly find out the age of the one that eats heaps if i call the breeder

i had a thermometer for the tank but my fiance accidently threw it out in the rubbish before i got a chance to stick it on. i have been able to find one of those nitrate/nitrite/amonnia test kits for $50 but now i have to wait until the pet store orders some in.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back