Cynops pyrrhogaster sasayamae bellies

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Country
Spain
Display Name
Rodrigo
This might be a silly question but my experience with C.pyrrhogaster is well.....scarce, and i´ve been having this doubt ever since i got my group of juveniles.
Do sasayamae develop the complicted spotted(white, black and red) coloration of their bellies when adults, or does that mean mine are not sasayamae??
The typical belly coloration i´ve seen in pictures of sasayamae has nothing to do with my juvie´s. Their bellies are "red" with two lines of black, and there´s no sign of spots at all.
I´m assuming it´s just something that develops with age, because the other features do look like the "sasayamae juvenile" description, but there´s no harm in asking, right :p?

AW: Cynops pyrrhogaster sasayamae bellies

Azhael, the typical "sasayamae" - belly pattern is not present in juveniles. It will develop as the animals reach adulthood. One significant characteristic of sasayamae - juveniles is that a lot of the animals have a yellow stripe along the dorsal ridge. Hope this helps.

Thank you very much Ralf. Although i was suspeting it was something that developed with age, it´s nice to have it confirmed :)
Most of my juvies do indeed have the dorsal stripe, that helped identifying them as sasayamae, it was the belly thing that had me curious.

Random question that I hadn't thought to ask until someone asked me...

Can Japanese Fire Bellies of different sub-species breed?

Yes, they can probably all interbreed. In fact, I know of a fairly well-documented case of Japanese and Chinese firebellies interbreeding.

I made this experience with different pyrrhogaster subspecies some years ago:
My sasayamae-looking (I bought them at a pet shop in the 1980ies) group was breeding regularly. Than my male died and I got another one (I don't know what subspecies it was, his parent where WC and bought at a petshop). The male was every year in breeding conditions, the females got "egg-fat" every year and I saw lots of courtship behaviour, but there were only a few unfertile eggs laid. So I sold the male and got another one, the breeder confirmed me it was sasayamae and it looked so. Next spring my group was succesfully breeding again and still does. The person I sold the male told me that a friend of him was breeding succesfully with this animal. So I think there are differences in the supspecies that make it diffcult to interbreed them. E.g. in courtship behaviour the unsuccessfull male never put his hind leg on top of the females head while fanning, all my succesfull sasayamae males do.

Hello

Jennewt, what races can breed, with other, what diferent races are documented?

Good bye!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back