wes_von_papineäu

Our Roving Correspondent
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Wes von Papineäu
NEWS RELEASE
The Center for North American Herpetology St. George Island, Florida *http://*www.cnah.org
29 December 2008

ADDITIONAL DISTRIBUTIONAL RECORDS OF AMBYSTOMA LATERALE, A. JEFFERSONIANUM
(AMPHIBIA: CAUDATA) AND THEIR UNISEXUAL KLEPTOGENS IN NORTHEASTERN NORTH AMERICA

2008. American Museum of Natural History Novitates 3627: 1-58

James P. Bogart & Michael W. Klemens

Abstract: Several species of Mole Salamanders in the genus Ambystoma are targeted by various state, provincial, and federal agencies for conservation. These salamanders have specific wetland and forested upland habitat requirements that render them vulnerable to environmental alteration. The Blue-spotted Salamander, Ambystoma laterale (LL) and the Jefferson Salamander, A. jeffersonianum (JJ) have both been listed for protection in various parts of their ranges, but the identification of these salamanders is confusing because they often coexist with unisexual individuals that are mostly polyploid and use the sexual species as sperm donors. We used isozyme electrophoresis, blood erythrocytes, and chromosome counts in a continued effort to identify sexual and unisexual individuals in eastern North America. We examined 1377 salamanders from 118 sites in Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia. Most Pennsylvania salamanders were A. jeffersonianum (JJ) but A. laterale (LL), previously unknown from Pennsylvania, were found in that state. The two sexual species were never found together.
We found diploid (LJ), triploid (LLJ; LJJ), and tetraploid (LLLJ; LJJJ; LLJJ) unisexuals. At most collecting sites, unisexuals were more numerous than sexual individuals. The association of sexual and unisexual individuals support a kleptogenic reproductive system in which the unisexuals steal genomes from their sympatric sexual sperm donors.

A gratis PDF of this article is available from the CNAH PDF Library at http://*www.cnah.org/cnah_pdf.asp

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back