Frozen blood worm/brine shrimp cubes?

mzcmn

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've got frozen cubes of bloodworms and also brine shrimp. If I put them in the tank frozen or partially frozen, they float and then will sink as they thaw. Sometimes axolotl gets a little aggressive and will go to eat them while they are still fairly frozen. I am wondering if this poses any harm to the axolotl, to eat the frozen cube, or if I should really let them thaw first. The thing I do like about putting them in while they are frozen is that they stay all together and will fall to the floor in one cohesive clump, making it a less messy endeavor. But I don't want to hurt my axie if the frozen food is going to harm him in any way.

Actually, large axolotls will often suck on whole cubes like lozenges. I can honestly say that I've never seen any problems I could attribute to this (in any newt or salamander).

I've got frozen cubes of bloodworms and also brine shrimp. If I put them in the tank frozen or partially frozen, they float and then will sink as they thaw. Sometimes axolotl gets a little aggressive and will go to eat them while they are still fairly frozen. I am wondering if this poses any harm to the axolotl, to eat the frozen cube, or if I should really let them thaw first. The thing I do like about putting them in while they are frozen is that they stay all together and will fall to the floor in one cohesive clump, making it a less messy endeavor. But I don't want to hurt my axie if the frozen food is going to harm him in any way.

Thanks John, yeah I guess I was just wondering if the cube being frozen constituted when swallowed a "rapid change of temperature" bodily that may cause him stress.

Hi Mzcmn,

Much like you, I used to rinse the frozen cubes of bloodworm before feeding them frozen directly, with the same reason of preventing the bloodworms from dispersing like fireworks over the substrate. In fact, i used to plant it like a seed into the substrate so that it would thaw out eventually in a clump.

However, Eva (blueberlin) gave me a wonderful tip that makes feeding frozen bloodworms so much more graceful and with finesse. The Eva method involves rinsing the bloodworm cube, allowing it to thaw completely and place it in a little teacup. Invert the teapcup and press into the substrate such that the trapped bloodworm settles into one spot. Your axolotls will soon learn and associate the teacup with bloodworm meal time.

It works like a treat.

Cheers.

Oh, I don't rinse the cubes though... what purpose does rinsing serve?

Hi again,

Well, rinsing as it suggests, rinses off any debris on the surface of the bloodworm cube. Debris would settle on the bottom end of the cube if you think of it as standing liquid (with worms) getting frozen. Rinsing also removes any residual paper backing that might adhere to the bloodworm cube. Also, maybe im just super fussy, but doesn't making sure the bloodworm cube is all clean give you psychological assurance? :happy:

Any risk posed by rinsing it in tap water, or do you rinse it in dechlorinated water? The cubes I get come in plastic casing, not paper.

I personally just rinse them in tap water because i feel the amount of chlorine/chloramine present just to rinse and thaw out is rather negligible. However, if you feel more comfortable rinsing it in dechlorinated water, by all means. It is only being more thorough although it might be an overkill.

Regardless of paper or plastic backing, rinsing will still get rid of residual debris at the bottom of the cube. I would still recommend giving it a slight rinse. Won't take too long anyway.

Cheers

Okay, I think the "psychological assurance" itself would be worth--just to make me feel good!

Hey y'all,

Just wanted to add that I actually do the teacup thing a wee bit differently. I fill the teacup with aquarium water and then put the (rinsed) worms into that water, then gently (or the water in the teacup will be washed out into the aquarium) lower the teacup to the tank floor, where I set it on its side. I find this method particularly helpful with live mini-worms (esp. Tubifex) that would otherwise wriggle into my substrate. It makes cleanup a snap, too, because I just have to lift the cup out; the leftovers are inside the cup.

It's also not really the "Eva method"; I learned about it here in the forum, too. :happy:

-Eva

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back