Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Tigrinum hibernation?

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
So a couple of months ago I was able to get several tiger salamanders from someone who had rescued them in a window well. I relocated most of them because the person was unable to and was unsure of care.

I kept a few for my collection. I picked out ones that were very bold and healthy. They were doing great until a couple of weeks ago, three of the smaller ones have stopped eating or taking interest in food all together and have become very thin. They do not move much and seem to be in slow motion when they do move around.

I was thinking that this was a form of hibernation for them. The temp. in the room is around 58 degrees. But, some of the tigers seem to be fine, eating and moving around just as much as before. If it is hibernation, why would only some of them go through it?

The main reason for my worry is that I just recently had a lost (cause unknown) and I want to make sure that hibernation does happen in captivity and not that there is a underlining problem. Like I said, the others are healthy and highly mobile.

Thanks for the help

Mitch

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Salamanders do not have a 'true' hibernation.

It could be eating less because it's cool and the natural light is indicating it's winter. But it's not normal for them to cease eating all together and get thin.

Personally, with the unknown death, I would think it's a parasitic infection.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Personally, with the unknown death, I would think it's a parasitic infection.
That seems like a shot in the dark.

Regarding the decrease in appetite from some of them, what are you feeding them? Tigers sometimes become fussy. This is my own shot in the dark. We need more details.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would expect them to continue eating at 58F. The fact that they are looking thin does not sound right to me. As a first aid measure, I would consider changing them to fresh substrate or into simple paper towel setups (and what kind of substrate are you using?)

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
I keep them in large plastic bins (15x30x12 roughly) with around 70/30 organic topsoil and coco fiber. I have the substrate level slanting so one area is fairly moist and the higher end is drier. The moist end is around an 1" deep and the drier end is around 5" deep. I have a clay dish for water at the low end. I do my best to remove their droppings on a regular basis and change the substrate every couple of months (only done once so far).

I hand feed them chopped earthworms which has worked out great with the exception of the skinny two. Every time I take the cover off all of them use to run to me for a snack, now just the larger ones do. I used to feed them twice to three times a week but ever since it has gotten colder I moved to once or twice a week. I have seen no change in the "healthier" ones.

I did relocated the thin ones to damp paper towel and leave chopped worms there overnight but they never disappear. They hardly change positions or move at all. They don't look at me or run away when I open the tub anymore. The others still greet me with immediately! I have not handled any of these guys other than a quick tail grab to move them for cleaning.

The one that died looked completely healthy, she wasn't thin or acting different at all. Just the other day I found her half burrowed . . .

The smaller, thinner ones are also starting to develop a slight red under their mouth and chest. I am really worried.

Thanks for the help.

Mitch

Tim S

Reaction score
Your setup might be alright for a single animal; however, 3+ animals might interfer with the others' ability to access food and water. The fact that these salamanders were trapped in window wells for an unknown period of time and then well feed for several months may have led to a build up of nitrogen waste in their systems.

I would recommend soaking them for a few hours (every other day) in a sealed container with a half inche of water. I don't think it will hurt and it may help them purge their systems of any organic waste that has built up.

Good luck

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Along with what John said, try offering it something else. Waxworms are usually not rejected (I've never had an animal not eat waxworms).

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
I will try soaking them for a little bit every couple of days. I have already separated them, changed the substrate and "quarantined" the sick ones. Although access to food was never a problem, having a couple per container may have raised the waste level more than I though.

I will also pick up some wax worms and try that. Do I need to crush the heads or is that only for mealworms? Like I said, I always hand feed them each a couple pieces of worm and they all came and ate with vigor until two weeks ago and boom, some just stopped eating and moving around all together.

Thanks for all your suggestions and help.

Mitch

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
Waxworms are squishy, sweet bundles of goodness. I've never had a tiger that wouldn't go crazy for them (I call them "crack for salamanders"). The downside is that some individuals like them so much that they don't like to eat much else!

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Waxworms are squishy, sweet bundles of goodness.

xDDD So true....
As John said, waxworms usually get very agressive feeding responses, they are great for picky eaters and animals that need fattening up, but don´t abuse them!

I´ve observed that when feeding a large waxworm to a relatively small animal, they some times spit them up because of the jaws, but if you feed them butt side first you avoid that problem.

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Waxworms are squishy, sweet bundles of goodness.

I have never thought of them that way! lol

I was able to give the two "sick" ones a quick soak in some water as I replaced the paper towel. They seem to be tad more mobile now, but it is tough to say.

I will track down some "bundles of goodness" and try those. Hopefully I can get them to eat. I will report back shortly with the results (if any). Thanks

Mitch

ferret_corner

Reaction score
GAH stupid computer glitch lost my reply - trying again...

Do you guys warm up your wax worms before feeding? I've tried that and now I've got rogue wax worms wandering my kitchen - or maybe the cats ate them.

My old man tiger won't eat them unless I piggyback a cricket on a worm (OH YEAH THATS FUN!! argh).

Sharon

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Well after going to a bait shop and picking up a small batch of wax worms I quickly got home and tried to give it to the two skinny tigers. After around 15 min. of trying to persuade them to eat it with no success I left them right in front of both of them. I came back around two hours later to see no action. The salamanders did not move a inch and the wax worms were wiggling in the same spot. At this point I don't know what to do. Every time I see the skinny salamanders move (which is rare) they move like they are drugged and refuse food. I will continue with the wax worms and extra care in hopes that they will eat. I am not big into force feeding and plan to make a appointment to the vet early next week. I hope these two will make it.

On a side note the other tigers were extremely happy to engulf their new treats and seem to be growing by the second!

Mitch

xMIDNIGHTx

Reaction score
Well after a couple of weeks of keeping the two sick tigers separated in their own containers with paper towel and soaking them in treated water they seem to have made a full recovery. Both are now eating and one has put on weight which I am very excited about.

I think the problem was a build up of waste mixed with too moist of substrate and lack of ventilation. I have fixed this problem and will be MUCH more careful of it in the future!

Thanks to everyone that helped!

Mitch

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!