The longest running Amphibian Community on the Internet.

Tags Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Caudata.org Store

Notices

Warty Newts (Paramesotriton & Laotriton) & Paddletail Newts (Pachytriton Often sold incorrectly as Japanese fire-bellied newts, these territorial newts are distinct from other genera and very interesting in their own right.

Old 30th December 2008   #1
audrey

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Comments: 0
Rep: audrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default P. chinensis and P. hongkongensis eggs

Well this past week has brought about some new developments with the Paramesotrition.
One of my female chinensis started laying a few days ago. She is always kind of secretive so I was searching for her to feed her and found eggs in the plants. I found 10 at first and 7 of them were obvious duds but the others were good. She has laid more since then that look better so hopefully she has it figured out now. I took what I could find out since it seems the male has decided they look like an interesting snack.

This morning I checked and found hongkongensis eggs as well. She has started laying in a really funny place! With all the plants in the tank, she goes for the little floating flower thing!

So here are a few pics of the chinensis tank - female laying eggs, egg on a plant, eggs....
And then some of the hongkongensis too - tank, eggs, female
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dec 30ndagain 009.jpg
Views:	743
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	5078   Click image for larger version

Name:	dec 30nd 015.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	5079   Click image for larger version

Name:	dec 30nd 016.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	5080   Click image for larger version

Name:	dec 30nd 020.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	5081   Click image for larger version

Name:	dec 30ndagain 005.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	5082  

Name:	dec 30ndagain 008.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	5083   Click image for larger version

Name:	dec 30ndagain 020.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	162.2 KB
ID:	5084  

audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008   #2
xMIDNIGHTx

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 0
Rep: xMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.orgxMIDNIGHTx is a mainstay of Caudata.org
Default Re: P. chinensis and P. hongkongensis eggs

That's great news Audrey, congrats! I hope all goes well and that there is more on the way! That setup looks good, I bet the newts are very happy.

xMIDNIGHTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008   #3
Chris Michaels
(froggy)
Site Contributor

Nationality:
Rep: froggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgfroggy is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Fantastic, Audrey! Good luck with rearing them. This seems very late for Paramesotriton; mine (aff. fuzhongensis) always started laying in the late autumn; perhaps there is interspecific variation in egg laying.

froggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008   #4
Louise Selfridge
(louise)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 1
Comments: 4
Rep: louise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Well done Audrey! Good luck with them. My hongkongensis haven't started laying yet, it's usually around the second week in January before they go.

louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2008   #5
Peraka
(PereJosa)

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 29
Comments: 2
Rep: PereJosa has given consistently good advice and informationPereJosa has given consistently good advice and informationPereJosa has given consistently good advice and information

Hi

Congratulations!! I have P.chinensis, and it's good for me see you breed this newt!!!!!

Adeu !!

(Excuse me for my bad english..)

PereJosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008   #6
Jacob Bidinger
(Jake)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 10
Rep: Jake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.orgJake is considered an Authority at Caudata.org

Congratulations Audrey! The newts and eggs look great. Keep us updated.

Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st December 2008   #7
Foster Reves
(freves)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: freves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.orgfreves is a mainstay of Caudata.org

I want to add my congratulations as well Audrey. I have 2.1 and the tail of the dominate male has been darkening lately however so far the female seems to show no interest. Did you cool them down prior to this?
Chip

freves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009   #8
GE
(troutnerd)

Nationality:
Comments: 1
Rep: troutnerd has given good advice and informationtroutnerd has given good advice and informationtroutnerd has given good advice and information

It is interesting to me that my hongkongensis also got into breeding mode in January. Apparently this falls within the September - March breeding time in China. Seems nature is able to figure it out in some of the most unnatural conditions! My tank is in my basement study with no natural light. The basement does cool down a lot however,which probably helps trigger breeding.

GE

troutnerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2009   #9
Louise Selfridge
(louise)

Nationality:
Rep: louise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.orglouise is a mainstay of Caudata.org

My females have started laying really late this year, beginning last week.

Old 8th March 2009   #10
AJ
(caudatadude28)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 14
Comments: 21
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information

How are the larvae coming along?

caudatadude28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2009   #11
Louise Selfridge
(louise)

Nationality:

I've left all the eggs in for the parents to eat this year. I still have juveniles from the past two years breedings, and haven't the time this year to devote to raising lots of larvae.

Old 9th March 2009   #12
audrey

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 3
Rep: audrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.orgaudrey is a mainstay of Caudata.org

Update:
Well the hongkongs are certainly taking their sweet time to hatch - some have hatched with all four legs!
The chinensis are also hatching nicely and a second female has started laying eggs. Here is a pic of each of the egg/larvae tanks.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	newts 3-8-09 005.jpg
Views:	2056
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	5691   Click image for larger version

Name:	newts 3-8-09 006.jpg
Views:	3446
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	5692  

audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2009   #13
AJ
(caudatadude28)
Prolific Member

Nationality:
Gallery Images: 14
Comments: 21
Rep: caudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and informationcaudatadude28 has given good advice and information

How big are they now?

caudatadude28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chinensis, eggs, hongkongensis