Question: Cycling

Clairey Beary

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
Clairey
Hi all, my boyfriend bought me a new tank for Christmas with everything included with it. It came with a bottle of stuff that is used to cycle the tank. I was just wondering if this is ok to use to cycle it? It doesn't contain anything that will harm my axies when i finally do get them will it?

Last time i had axies i just used some food in the tank to get the bacteria growing so wasn't too sure of this bottle of stuff :confused:

Thanks in advance

Claire

Hi Clairey Beary,

It would be great if you could provide the name of the product to give us an indication of what it could be. The label should suffice or you might like to take a photo of the bottle and post it here.

My guess is that its likely to be a water 'ager', which removes chlorine. Read the label on the bottle carefully to see if it removes chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals. You would want to use a product that can effectively remove all the above. The water ager does not 'cycle' the water in the tank. It merely neutralises chlorine, chloramine and heavy metals which are harmful to your axolotl.

Cycling the tank would take some time as it requires beneficial bacteria to grow and colonise the tank surfaces. Take a look at this site which would give you detailed information about how to cycle your tank.

http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/cyclingEDK.shtml

There are commercial products that may assist in accelerating the cycling process. These products claim to contain live nitrifying bacteria that can be added directly to the water. These includes products like Stress Zyme. I personally do use this product, but the efficacy is debatable as others here have found it to be not helpful at all.

Cheers

Whatever that stuff is, it's probably pretty much a joke. I work in a pet store, and we sell a couple different products, and every one of us employees think it's a joke. The only one I've ever heard of that actually works as it claims to is Bio-Spira. This stuff is expensive, and comes in a little foil packet that must be refrigerated from the time of manufacturing all the way up until it's used. I personally have used TLC for Freshwater Aquariums, and it seemed like my tank cycled quickly, but it still wasn't that instant cycle, or that 3 day cycle that the TLC claims. It still took me several weeks.

The best thing to do is to go get yourself a couple feeder guppies (two would even be enough) and toss them in the tank. You can also add live plants such as hornwort and java moss which work as great nitrogen sponges. They absorb a ton of wastes, and help keep your water healthier. I hear in fish keeping forums that Seachem's Purigen does amazing things at removing nitrogenous materials as well, but I've never used it myself, so I can't say how effective it is. So do this, and add some filter media or gravel from an already established aquarium. Chances are your LFS uses undergravel filters. Ask them if you can have a handful of gravel. Put this handful in your filter, or scatter it in your tank, and you're introducing bacteria and you don't have to wait as long for a cycle to take place. If I were doing it this way, I'd put the gravel in a piece of pantyhose and toss it in the filter of my tank.

What I actually do for cycling is continually run a sponge filter in one of my tanks. Even though it's completely unnecessary, I leave one running permanently. Then, any time I set up a new tank, I just toss that sponge filter in the new tank, and voila! It's instantly cycled. I get questionable amounts of ammonia for about two or three days, and do water changes for these few days, then after a few days I'm down to like 1ppm ammonia. It works great for me.

The only one I've ever heard of that actually works as it claims to is Bio-Spira.

Bio-Spira is no longer manufactured. If you find some it is likely out of date. Bio-Spira was bought out by Tetra and is now marketed as Tetra SafeStart. Another one is Dr. Tim's One and Only. They were all developed by the same biologist... Dr. Timothy A. Hovanec. They have an expiration date on them now that is 1 year from the time it was packaged. Bio-Spira did not have an expiration date so there was no way to tell how old it was. I have had good success with both products.

Hi there. The name of the product is Nutrafin and it's described as 'Cycle powerful biological supplement' and says it helps build the bacteria to get rid of ammonia etc and to aid in the cycling of new tanks.

This should be safe to use shouldn't it? I won't be putting any axolotls in until it is fully cycled anyway. but i was just a little jubious (sorry rubbish at spelling) about using this as i didn't k now if it contained any harmful chemicals in it. Last time i cycled a tank I used a frozen burger (haha I know) and it cycled within 4 weeks which is pretty quick.

When I get home from work I'll be able to have a better look at the product and check it. :rolleyes:

Hi Clairey,

Unfortunately, im not familiar with that product, but it falls into the category of 'supplementary bacteria' solutions. A lot of the members here did not have much success with using such products to accelerate their tank cycling process. Hence, it may be a waste of money. I would doubt there would be harmful chemicals in that product, but i shall leave that to someone familiar with it.

As for the frozen burger, i hope you are joking, because that really traumatised me somewhat.

Cheers

If you have Cycle, go ahead and use it. It shouldn't hurt anything, although it can make you show false ammonia readings. Some of the different products have a form of ammonia in them that is non-toxic, but is necessary for the "bacteria" in the solution. Some people swear by Cycle, and insist it's a good thing, I personally have never used it, and I'll never buy it. It seems like a waste of money. But if it came with the tank, and you already have it . . . why not give it a shot?

I have used Cycle and have never had any luck with it. Nor have I run across anyone on any other forum that has had any luck with it. It does not contain anything that will harm your pet but I doubt that it will speed up the cycling process. I have over 30 fish tanks and have tried many of the 'name' brands at one time or another to see if any of them work. The 2 I mentioned above are the only ones that have sped up the cycling process and I have been able to cycle a new tank in anywhere from 4-10 days.

Yeah i think i'll give it a shot and if it seems like there are traces of ammonia in the water then i'll stop using it and get a couple of fish to put in it.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I shall be setting up my unit tonight when i get in, so im very excited!!! :crazy:

(ps i didnt have any animals in the tank when i had the food in it. i just used it to build up the bacteria. i took it out once it had cycled and left it a couple of weeks or so before i put my axies into it. it did the trick.)

Fishless cycling is perfectly fine and I have had good success with it. Never tried hamburger but I have used fish foods and frozen shrimp in the past.

Fishless cycling is perfectly fine and I have had good success with it. Never tried hamburger but I have used fish foods and frozen shrimp in the past.

I know, it's seems to works very quickly too which is excellent. I'll have to dig out my water testing kit from the loft (or was it in the garage. Hmmmm) and all my plastic plants. Aww I'm unbelievably excited to get it all set up. I just need to find somewhere that sells white sand in big bags. thats the colour we have decided to put in. think it will look really pretty! :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back