Question: Clear stuff on my axies.

Plonk

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Plonk
I have 2 axies in a 4ft tank,with 150litres of water and I have discovered that they both have some sort of clear stuff coming off them, its all over them. Im not sure what it is. I caught my 2 year old nephew splashing in the tank 2 weeks ago. Also there are brown spots on the sides of the tank. I do weekly 20% water changes. I have bought some multi cure today which aids in the treatment of white spot,velvet disease and fungal diseases. I bought it just in case its needed. If I mix it up to what it says the water will be green. Is this stuff ok to use?

Please do not use medication designed for fish on axolotls, particuarly if the medicine contains any 'malachite green' - this stuff is deadly to axolotls.

Treatments should never be added directly to the aquarium, all treatments should be conducted in quarantine conditions such as in a plastic tub, small quarantine tank etc.

Could you provide some more detail on the 'clear stuff' all over them? A photo would be most helpful.

Are the axolotls eating?

Are they behaving normally?

What are your water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate?

Thanx for your reply, the clear stuff looks like saliva and when they swim it comes off them stringy like. I have taken pics but it doesnt seem to show up. They are eating fine and doing what axies do best. Their gills arent pointing forward either. They are eating well too.
Im not sure on my parameters, I will have to take a trip to my proper aquarium shop tomorrow (I missed their opening hours today). Small fish shop sold me the stuff said its ok to use on my axies, will be calling them tomorrow and going off. Im so glad I havent put the stuff in the tank.

It sounds like it may just be skin shedding, axies do this fairly frequently and often while we are not looking - you've caught them out lol.

If they are eating well and displaying no signs of stress, I wouldn't worry.

Thanx again for your reply. What should I do about the brown spots besides wiping them away?

Thanx, have a good night.:D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back