Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

offshoot for water cooling

RachaelBlandin

Reaction score
I'm thankful for all the current info on water cooling, with my axie (Toby) being another victim of the Aust summer. However, how quickly can the water drop without causing shock? My tank reached 26 celcius yesterday afternoon and it took until tonight before I could bring it back to 20 as I didn't want him suffering further from aa sudden shock. As it is I couldn't sleep last night because I have had my fan on medium to high since Christmas. It doesn't seem to help.

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi Rachel,

The drop in water temperature has to be gradual over time. I would say on the safe side, a period of 30min to cool down by 1 degree celsius. The fan alone may not suffice if you have to try cool the tank down by quite a bit.

If you are using the ice bricks method, it is far safer to use small bottles/bricks which are replaced mutitple times compared to one gigantic iceberg sized brick which is plonked into the tank titanic style. But if you can, ideally, i really recommend a chiller. I have never looked back since i invested in one.

CHeers

kira

Reaction score
I was just wondering where in OZ you are? I only ask because I have noticed that different cooling methods work for different people depending on where they are.

Unfortunately, at $300 - $400 a pop, not all of us can afford a chiller for our little friends. Summer is only going to get worse and before it does, it's probably a good idea to find an effective system to cool your tank with in your budget.

I have had a lot of problems cooling my tanks lately. Fans just don't cut it where I live because it is to hot! However, I have taken a few ideas from everyone to do something that is (currently, ask again in a few weeks - LOL) working for me.
I found out recently that the thermometer in one of my tanks was wrong by about 2-4C under what it should have been. So I bought another and that was reading wrong also (about 5-6C more), which caused me a lot of panic! I use ice bricks to cool my tank and I find that I am better off using larger bricks (ie. 2lts) because it allows me to keep the tank cooler for longer without much flactuation. Then with the heat wave we have had lately (I am in Central Queensland) and with my second thermometer reading wrong, I was getting prepared to sell my kidney on the black market to fund a chiller (lol that is a joke which someone on the forum came up with). Anyway, I have now gone and bought a digital thermometer (which is apparently correct to 0.1C) and I have cut styrofoam (sorry if I can't spell) and placed it underneath and on the back and sides on the tank. I also cut a piece so that it fits snuggly on top in place of the lid, so it acts like an esky. I replaced my filter (which was a internal powerhead) with a on the side waterfall filter thingy. My tank now sits at a regular 17 - 19C (I was able to bring the temp down by at least 7C). All up, it didn't cost too much
2 x Styrofoam boxes (incl. lids) from the seafood store $1.50 each
5 x 2litre 'fill yourself' ice bricks $2.99 each
digital thermometer $12.95
waterfall filter $29.99

So anyway, thats my 2cents worth. Sorry about raving on.

Hope this helps.:p

Neke

Reaction score
Hey Kira,
I've heard of this method but haven't spoken to anybody who has tried it. How often do you need to replace the ice blocks, and how quickly do they melt? Can you leave it for a while in between ice blocks because of the insulation, or do you still need to swap them before the first melts? I should be focusing on hooking up my chiller instead of seeking alternate cooling methods, but I'm curious.

I'm still struggling with the temp but my axie is happy in his esky and FINALLY eating like a pig - I'm scared to try fixing the tank temperature when I've got this system perfected! This is the first time he's eaten properly since I got him, so I just want everybody to stand still and not breathe in case something messes with the delicate balance that is the esky.

Rachael, we're all in the same boat and it sucks. The method Kira has described is one of the easier ones that actually works, but it's not very aesthetically pleasing. If you don't have to change the frozen blocks very often I'd say it's probably the next best thing to a chiller. Or an actual esky :D

b00f

Reaction score
I was just wondering where in OZ you are? I only ask because I have noticed that different cooling methods work for different people depending on where they are.

Unfortunately, at $300 - $400 a pop, not all of us can afford a chiller for our little friends. Summer is only going to get worse and before it does, it's probably a good idea to find an effective system to cool your tank with in your budget.

I have had a lot of problems cooling my tanks lately. Fans just don't cut it where I live because it is to hot! However, I have taken a few ideas from everyone to do something that is (currently, ask again in a few weeks - LOL) working for me.
I found out recently that the thermometer in one of my tanks was wrong by about 2-4C under what it should have been. So I bought another and that was reading wrong also (about 5-6C more), which caused me a lot of panic! I use ice bricks to cool my tank and I find that I am better off using larger bricks (ie. 2lts) because it allows me to keep the tank cooler for longer without much flactuation. Then with the heat wave we have had lately (I am in Central Queensland) and with my second thermometer reading wrong, I was getting prepared to sell my kidney on the black market to fund a chiller (lol that is a joke which someone on the forum came up with). Anyway, I have now gone and bought a digital thermometer (which is apparently correct to 0.1C) and I have cut styrofoam (sorry if I can't spell) and placed it underneath and on the back and sides on the tank. I also cut a piece so that it fits snuggly on top in place of the lid, so it acts like an esky. I replaced my filter (which was a internal powerhead) with a on the side waterfall filter thingy. My tank now sits at a regular 17 - 19C (I was able to bring the temp down by at least 7C). All up, it didn't cost too much
2 x Styrofoam boxes (incl. lids) from the seafood store $1.50 each
5 x 2litre 'fill yourself' ice bricks $2.99 each
digital thermometer $12.95
waterfall filter $29.99

So anyway, thats my 2cents worth. Sorry about raving on.

Hope this helps.:p

nice to see you found a fix, and 7c, thats a very very nice drop in temp.

Rachael, i would highly suggest this method,

get some nice thick curtains too, dropped my room temp by 5 degrees, and water temp by 3, it all helps...

Daniel

Site Contributor
Reaction score
@Kira: I am just curious how you know which one of your thermometers shows the right temperature? A simple "digital, correct to 0.1 °C" sign placed on it would not doubtlessly assure me that it is correct.

As for the cooling fans: What kind of fans did you use? And what was the result (in degrees please, if you measured it)? The amazing thing with these fans (theoretically...) is that the higher the temperatures in the room, the better the results (since warm air can take up more water, therefore more water can evaporate from the tank causing a cooling effect).

Replacing the internal filter might have helped to lower the temperature (lower heat output in the tank, additional evaporation cooling), the styrofoam too to a certain degree (given the fact that the water in your tank was cooler than the outsides).

After all: I am glad not to live in Australia.

geosheets

Reaction score
@Kira: I am just curious how you know which one of your thermometers shows the right temperature? A simple "digital, correct to 0.1 °C" sign placed on it would not doubtlessly assure me that it is correct.

I've always checked/calibrated my thermometers with a glass filled with ice and a minimal amount of water... it should register right at 0C(32F). It's always worked for me.

kira

Reaction score
Hey Kira,
I've heard of this method but haven't spoken to anybody who has tried it. How often do you need to replace the ice blocks, and how quickly do they melt? Can you leave it for a while in between ice blocks because of the insulation, or do you still need to swap them before the first melts?

The ice blocks take awhile to melt because they are filled with salt water (they also take longer to freeze), which thaws more slowing then regular water. The tops have been completely sealed so that there is no leakage in to the tank.

I put a ice brick in and it can take an hour or so to melt, then I leave the brick in there for another hour (depending on the weather, at the moment I can leave it in for longer). I change the ice brick about 4 times a day (if its really really hot [like our recent heat wave] about 6 times).

Yes, the outside of the tank looks a bit tacky, but my little ones are comfortable and happy. The best thing is that they aren't locked away in the fridge and I can still see them:D

As for the cooling fans: What kind of fans did you use? And what was the result (in degrees please, if you measured it)? The amazing thing with these fans (theoretically...) is that the higher the temperatures in the room, the better the results (since warm air can take up more water, therefore more water can evaporate from the tank causing a cooling effect).

Replacing the internal filter might have helped to lower the temperature (lower heat output in the tank, additional evaporation cooling), the styrofoam too to a certain degree (given the fact that the water in your tank was cooler than the outsides).

I have two tanks which means I have two thermometers. I put all five theremometers in the same tank for 30mins and then checked them. Two were very wrong!! Three were excatly the same, unfortunately, two were the glass ones and my kids broke one trying to be helpful! I am trying to get away from the glass thermometers anyway because I caught Giselle trying to eat hers a couple of days ago!

Regarding fans, I have tried using a desk fan, and when that stopped working, I used an aquarium fan that clips onto the side of the tank which I bought off ebay. I only bought the temp down 1-3C and that wasn't enough. Also, during our heat wave, the fan didn't have any effect at all.

Changing the filter has bought down the temperature, which is why I did it and using the styrofoam has created an esky type effect. I am very happy with what I achieved.

While it can be quite hot in Australia, it is the lucky country and I wouldn't swap it for the world!:D

paullism

Reaction score
We adapt, we improvise and we over come !

While we do have difficulties in some parts of this "GREAT" country of maintaining an acceptable temperature for our axolotls without having to purchase expensive chillers, it can be done and Kira is fine example of what can be achieved. After all we are mostly a bunch a convicts !

We have a 165 litre tank and can maintain a temperate of 20 to 22 degrees C with the use of 3 two litre plastic drink bottles that are rotated between the tank and the freezer.

Have a look around you and see for yourself how many Australians there are here on the forum that are axolotl owners.

Daniel "After all: I am glad not to live in Australia." I hope this is just a bad choice of words in your post.

Neke

Reaction score
Daniel said:

Paul, I'm sure he meant axolotl-wise, as nobody can argue that it is much harder to keep them if you are living in a warmer climate. Possible, but harder :happy: I love Australia to bits, but I'll admit that in the midst of all these heat waves I am willing it to snow with some pretty neat jedi mind tricks. I'm sure my axie has similar thoughts some days ;)

blueberlin

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hi y'all,

I'm a translator (retired now) and Daniel is a friend of mine so I am going to be presumptuous and attempt an explanation. "After all" said in German means something like "all things considered". Besides, Daniel is a newt guy; I think we would have to fridge him if he were only allowed axolotls. ;)

-Eva

RachaelBlandin

Reaction score
Sorry to say thanks so late, I haven't had much chance to go on the internet. The replies have been very useful and I have managed to get the temp down. Thank you higher power for two cool days in a row. I brought a larger tank, the aquarium said the higher volume would help and I have been freezing 600 ml soft drink bottles filled with tankwater. Hopefully they aren't counted as icebergs, they do tend to become liqified within an hour. The new tank is currently 30 cm deep so i think it should be a gradual change.

If I sandwich the styrofoam in the plastic scenery sheets, will that negate the insulating effects? If not I will do it anyway but if the option is there...

Darkmaverick

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Hi RachelBlandin,

You are doing a fantastic job! The bottles you are using is perfect for your tank size. It cools it down without causing too drastic a drop.

As for insulation, the purpose of insulation is to keep the cold in, keep the heat out. Therefore, if you want to prolong the effect of a cooled tank, i would think the styrofoam walls would help to a degree. You can place the styrofoam walls while you are using the ice bricks. Remember that the styrofoam walls can also have the effect of keeping the heat in if you are using it without cooling the tank.

On a side note, i used to work at the equine hosptial in camden near to where you are located!

Cheers

RachaelBlandin

Reaction score
Cool. Glad I'm not upsetting him by the ice.

He has been very still lately. I thought he would be more active now his temp has gone down. Last year he would circle round, now he just in the corner and doesn't move unless I just fed him. This new tank is longer (another reason why I got it) and I thought he would like it.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Adults aren't as active as juveniles. The only time mine get any real gumption to move is when there's food.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1