Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Why tigers are called, mole salamanders.

pepper

Reaction score
Last night, err morning. It was 2 in the morning and I wake up to the sound of what sounds like something crashing or falling, or trying to escape...I figured it was one of my gecko's but they were all chilling basically asleep...

So..I try to go back to bed...but this noise is really stinking loud...but I don't want to check on Watson because then he will beg for food. Well, sneakily I grab my little flash light and run over to his area, I look inside...and he is digging a huge hole under his water dish making a bunch of noise and spraying dirt all over the walls of his tub, and in his freshly changed water dish...Well he spins around and of course runs up to me wanting something to eat..*rolls eyes* Well, eventually I go back to sleep and resolve to take pictures of his tunnel when he's done.

So this morning I turn on the lights..and his water bowl is horribly dirty and now im afraid it's going to squish him..

IMGP0874.jpg

IMGP0875.jpg

His pattern still looks really bad, its actually kind of getting worse, I miss his pure yellow bars of color :(

But, at least he's having fun, haha. I also figured out through trial and error, if I bury his half log so it's really low to the ground he will go under it! lol I watch him a lot, but I have to act like a ninja..he's on a strict feeding schedule/diet because he is getting older..but yet, he still thinks any time I walk into the room is feeding time and he is literally leaping into the air and snapping at anything that moves...yesterday he attacked his fake plant when it touched him and was thrashing it back and forth...sometimes it makes me feel bad, then I reassure myself he's just being a pig.

Shadow

Reaction score
Although I hae no experience with Tigers, I'd say if you worried about his water bowl squishing him, then remove it gently and relocate it in the log and see how it responds being in there.

Either way this is very cute!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1