Ok, now what are these?

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Display Name
Sharon
I'm full of these type of questions lately. ::: sigh :::

I looked around the boards and I couldn't really find a place for this question. Since they are in my newt setup - I figured this was as good a place as any.

Description: tiny "worms" about 1/2"long - maybe a little less, white or clear, swimming through the upper layer of water. I don't think they are harmful as these newts are the healthiest I've seen personally. These newts and my axies sort of shared a tank and there for water - but they aren't in the axolotl tank. I'm thinking thats because guppies didn't last 24 hours in the newt section but guppies will last a month in the axolotl section. This was a temporary arrangement to manage water temps.

I'll have amend the behaviour. I THINK they attach themselves to the sides and objects in the tank. The glass I left on the counter showed some seemingly attached to the sides and the others weren't visible. I'm due to clean the shared tank soon - we'll see if I stir any up..

Attachments

• 100_0344.jpg
    100_0344.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_0345.jpg
    100_0345.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 180
could be somthing like a whiteworm or grindle worm

Do you feed live blackworms in that tank?

I've noticed a couple in my Axolotl tank, I think they may be bloodworm that have escaped death?
I shouldn't think they'd be harmful. :uhoh:

No live foods at all, some live plants though.

Sharon

Any number of gnats or midges have small swimming larvae. They especially like to lay them in tanks.

It´s normal fauna of an stablished tank...nothing to worry about...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back