Help cutting through terracotta planter

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Country
Japan
Display Name
Sharon
My left hand is cramping up something fierce from hanging on to the danged pot. It is taking forever to go through it and I keep hitting "stuff" that smells horrid and burns nastily.

I'm using a dremel tool with a "cut off wheel". Do I just lack the necessary hand strength to power through this material? I would estimate I've been cutting on one pot for 30 minutes. Its a 4" pot.

I'm kind of tempted to drill holes along the score I've made but I dunno if thats is going to be to much pressure in one spot or not.

And does anyone know where I can find terra cotta pipe? Or maybe recreate the look of terracotta with PVC and...?

Sharon

The dremel tool is probably not coarse enough and burnt up. I've sawed notches in clay flower pots with a hack saw. Another tool you could possibly use is a hole saw. How about smacking it with a hammer and filing or sanding rough edges. I have smacked flower pots around and used pieces for hiding spots.

Lately I've taken to sawing pvc pipes for hiding spots and not worrying about how they look.

Another alternative would be fired clay hiding caves made for fish. A potter that has a business doing this was at our local aquarium club shop. Some of his work was really nice and could be easily used for salamander hides.

O.K. one more suggestion. A coconut hut is easy to make and does well on land or in water.

Just smash the pot. You'll feel better.

The dremel tool is probably not coarse enough and burnt up. I've sawed notches in clay flower pots with a hack saw. Another tool you could possibly use is a hole saw. How about smacking it with a hammer and filing or sanding rough edges. I have smacked flower pots around and used pieces for hiding spots.

Lately I've taken to sawing pvc pipes for hiding spots and not worrying about how they look.

Another alternative would be fired clay hiding caves made for fish. A potter that has a business doing this was at our local aquarium club shop. Some of his work was really nice and could be easily used for salamander hides.

O.K. one more suggestion. A coconut hut is easy to make and does well on land or in water.

Just smash the pot. You'll feel better.

ROTFL@just smash the pot. I should.

I should talk to some of the pottery folks around here. I have no idea how a town this danged tiny supports 4 pottery shops. I've been in ebay ehll browsing aquarium decor.

I've got tons of coconut shells - or I did - I drill holes in them for the macaws to destroy or eat.

I think I will talk to the pottery people. Thanks Michael!

Sharon

I've seen PCV pipes that people have covered using aquarium silicone sealant and small rounded pebbles. They look quite nice, but are probably tedious (and messy?) to make.

Here is how I deal with those darned terracotta pots. You should hear my husband complain about the orange dust he keeps finding on his pliers:rolleyes:

ROTFL! I guess I should have been more clear in my original post and pointed out that its MY dremel tool I'm using. lol. SOMEONE got tired of me taking off with his tools to use for uh nefarious? reasons. I think the last straw was seeing me whack nails into the wall with a crescent wrench.

But I was working inside of a lowes bag. NO! Not all of me, lol. I was holding the pot inside the bag. It wasn't easy. I left it on a tv tray and came here to whine. He sat down to watch football and got all excited seeing a Lowes bag and knowing his bday coming soon. Poor guy. Just a bunch of red dust and teracotta chips!

He also mentioned a burnt odor hanging in the air. I forgot to use the febreeze. OOPS.

He bring up a couple of points. He said that type of sawing or cutting is typically done underwater. I was curious as to how I was supposed to get my dremel tool underwater with out it blowing up or at least shorting out, strangely he was short on ideas on how to accomplish that. Still he has a point. Thats what my dentist does. water and drill. GAH : (

LOL I'll go hang out with the guys at lowes or go flirt with the old guys at ace. They'll know!

Sharon

Oh I love my dremel tool for this. Here are a few things I do to make it easier, first I soak the pot or pots in water for at least 24 hours and then I use the quick change carbon fiber blade. Score the area that your wanting to cut about halfway through the pot then you should just be able to just pull it apart or a little tap from the hammer will pop it right apart.

AWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hugs & kisses! LOL! Thanks Justin - I've been sitting here brooding (not over the pot) but that certainly brightened my, uh, night! LOL three more to drill through and your suggestions will make it loads easier!

Hmmm, wheres the knight in shining armor icon?

Sharon

It worked!! The first pot probably had a 1/4" groove cut into it and not much left. The dremel cut right through it with no issues, no flying chips. I have a second pot - its on day 3 in water - I didn't mean to leave it in there that long, but I'll get to it when I get to it! It hasn't been scored at all and I'm curious to see how well the cutting goes with it.

Sharon

What looks like a good source for caves is southcentralchiclids.com

It worked!! The first pot probably had a 1/4" groove cut into it and not much left. The dremel cut right through it with no issues, no flying chips. I have a second pot - its on day 3 in water - I didn't mean to leave it in there that long, but I'll get to it when I get to it! It hasn't been scored at all and I'm curious to see how well the cutting goes with it.

Sharon

Pictures?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back