Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl and Java Moss

Nim Dibbley

Reaction score
I have been looking through the forums, but haven't seen anything negative about keeping Java Moss in with my axolotl or anything relevant to my question.

I have been feeding the axolotl live blood worms and I noticed the worms ball up around straggling pieces of the moss. That in itself isn't necessarily bad, but I just witnessed the axolotl eating a piece of moss thinking it was a bloodworm....

I pulled it out of his mouth before he swallowed it, but for all I know that was not the first nor the last time that will happen.

I am just wondering if he would spit out the moss on his own or if it would make him sick if he ate it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
Mine have been living in a heavily planted tank for some months now. Since June. Your post got me to wondering how long it had been and I'm going to post some "then" and "now" pics. Gawd I suck as a photographer.

ANYWAY..... they have peacock moss, marimo moss balls (I guess its not really a moss but it seems to "shed" bits of itself), naja grass and some other plants.

The floor of the aquarium is always covered with plant detritus. I siphon up a lot of it but I'm sure they are ingesting quite a bit when I feed as I am not an overly fastidious 'lotl keeper, and they are all fine.

I keep getting this mental picture of a an axolotl heaving up the mossball equivalent of a cat hairball and giving myself the giggles.

How big is your axolotl? Mine are quite decently sized although I haven't measured them. I'm not worried about them picking up any bits. BUT if they were a lot smaller I might be concerned - depending on the size of moss they suck up.

Sharon

Nim Dibbley

Reaction score
He is very young and about two inches long. The moss is typically about the length of a bloodworm when it hits the bottom of the tank. Yesterday I siphoned up most of it, but there are new pieces of the moss all along the bottom of the tank this morning. I can tell keeping the moss in the tank I will constantly have this issue...I just hope it is not a real problem to be concerned about.

John

Founder
Staff member
Reaction score
I've kept axolotls with java moss and I've never seen them try to swallow any. They lay eggs in it too.

radtad

Reaction score
I keep Java moss in all my Axie environments. I use it as a spawning medium as well as a filter for the developing little guys tanks. It helps keep the water healthier and provides some cover.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My axies live with a ton of java moss. I'm sure that swallowing a bit of it will not hurt them.

shellysue

Reaction score
I am pleased someone else asked this question as I got some moss balls for my lotys they have a tank full of cabomba and I wondered how it would go in their tank.
Like Sharon the thought of lotys coughing up moss balls made me laugh, Cyd [my loty] didn't find it funny at all:uhoh:
sue

rnocera

Reaction score
My Hayt seems pretty good at spitting out things he brings in with his food & doesn't like. He regularly sucks up sand and chunks of java moss, and spits everything back out.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. They eat that kind of stuff in the wild all the time.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1