Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

any ideas of how to plant

theHIguy

Reaction score
any ideas of how to make this look good and be comfortable for my sally? it is about 1 foot and 2 in by 1 foot and 2 in ?

Photo 60.jpg

ferret_corner

Reaction score
For my new sals I'm going to try ferns. Probably pothos since I can't kill those. I wish I could find a mini pothos though. Um probably going to use organic topsoil and cocofiber bedding. I like color and I'm trying to find plants with color - I usually get um those ones for tropical dart frogs - OMG the name escapes me right now. I may resort to some high quality silk plants and hack them and use sprigs here & there to get the color I want.

OK I cheated and actually opened my houseplant book. Dang thing hasn't been opened in so long its stiff, like new.

Mind you I haven't done a lick of research on any of these plants so their suitability is in the air - but its a place to start...

Babys tears - soleiroliansoleirolii (likes moist soil),

earth star - cryptanthus hivittatus ahh BROMELIAD! (hmm description says it has "harmless" spines I usually get a common one found in the stores called tillandsia cyanese),

euonymus japonica - in the reading it doesn't suitable,

ferns, maidenhair fern -adiantum pedatum says evenly moist soil but it likes high humidity, rabbits foot fern also called squirrel foot or deer foot is noted for its finely divided fronds and furry rhizomes which creep over and down the sides of the growing container and resemble animal feet (maybe plant that one on a hillock for eye appeal?) and there are button and boston ferns. I think with a lot of pruning they would work. Dwarf leatherleaf is tolerant of dry air.

Miniature african violets, says they like bright but indirect light - I dunno.....

Miniature sinningias, hhmm says they have hair leaves - thats usually a no-no I think... also says to much moisture causes the crown to rot.

moss fern - selaginella - soil evenly moist, high to very high humidity, dry air causes leaf dieback

norfolk island pine* - araucaria heterophylla, hhmm I don't think that will work at all

parlor palm* - chamaedorea elegans also known as neanthe bella - I think I've purchased this type before, it worked - it doesn't specify about THAT palm but says some tolerate low light, evenly moist soil, average to high humidity

pellionia - also called rainbow vine P. pulchrm syn, elatostema repens var. pulchra (lol makes no sense to me but thats the name) says to keep evenly moist and high humidity, medium light.

pilea, says it likes bright light, evenly moist soil and high humidity

rex begonia medium light, says - water thoroughly then let it dry slightly, drier in winter - average temps

strawberry begonia not listed with the other begonias? saxifraga stolonifera ground hugging,rosetter forming plant says bright light, should dry between watering, average to high humidity.

*young plants only

As I was typing the last for the strawberry begonia I recalled once reading a list of suitable viv plants somewhere on the 'net. I'm gonna go rest my busted arm which is killing me after all this typing!!

Sharon

Last edited:

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
any ideas of how to make this look good and be comfortable for my sally? it is about 1 foot and 2 in by 1 foot and 2 in ?

View attachment 5152

Here are some examples of terrestrial vivs. As we discussed in a different thread, assure that you have an appropriate substrate at a depth and moisture level suitable for the burrowing tiger.
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/setups3.shtml

Consider silk plants. They are attractive and won't be dug up/roots exposed by the tiger.

Azhael

Site Contributor
Reaction score
A bit off-topic, but that terrarium doesn´t seem suitable for an adult tiger slamander...way too small.

theHIguy

Reaction score
well he is smaller then most salamanders i dont think he is a tiger i just call him a olive tiger cuz i cant find out what kinda species he is =). i bought him in a pet store with hundreds of waterdogs in the tank. he is a real dark green color and he has ribs on the side of his tummy will get a pic wen i can but i am gonna mix top soil and coco fiber and will find some ferns.

ferret_corner

Reaction score
There are some excellent pictures in the Vivaria & Equipment/Product Reviews. I think I did a search for Tiger salamander or maybe just salamander and lots of other peoples vivs popped up. Some were just excellent.

Sharon

aramcheck

Reaction score
i dont think he is a tiger i just call him a olive tiger [..] i bought him in a pet store with hundreds of waterdogs in the tank. he is a real dark green color and he has ribs on the side of his tummy

Are you sure your sal is not a Spanish ribbed newt? If you found him in a pet shop with waterdogs I assume it was in a aquatic set-up? Dark green with ribs? Does he look somehow flat like those guys?
file_432.jpg

file_1956.jpg

If he is a Pleurodeles, then he needs an aquatic set up, not a terrestrial one, check the Caudata Culture species page for instructions

If I'm wrong, just ignore that post :D

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
By 'ribs', you probably mean costal ridges. It is probably a tiger salamander. "Hundreds" of waterdogs usually means they mass-collected them to sell as bait. This is, unfortunately, fairly common.

A 1 foot x 1 foot tank isn't terribly small. Tigers are pretty sedentary. They kind of sit there and do nothing. As long as you keep the tank appropriately moist, I don't think it'd be too much of a problem.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!