Turning into a Salamander! Help!

Dittany

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Lucy axolotl is turning into a salamander! can you give me any advice on how to care for her?

I took her to the vet a few weeks ago because she had been through a very stressful time with bad water quality (when I stupidly left her with a friend to look after) and was not eating and had shrunk to half her size and almost lost her gills and 'fluffy bits' on the side of her head. The vet took one look at her and said that she has decided to turn herself into a salamander (due to the stress of her ordeal no doubt). He advised me how to set up a new tank for her - with half shallow water and half gravel land area with a water sprinkler over the top - I've done that - but I'm still not sure what is supposed to happen next...

> how long should the process take? She is still sticking to the water and hasn't tried going on land yet. She just sits on the bottom of the tank or on the underwater rocks with her nose sticking out into the air. She's been like this for about 3/4 weeks now. It would be nice to know a general timeline of the changes they are suppose to go through so I can monitor her progress. Her legs and arms are still very skinny, her tail has lost the "clear-bits" (they've been gone for awhile) and her head is slightly rounder. Also her body is quite skinny - she's not the healthiest axolotl/salamander unfortunately because of the bad ordeal she went through while I was away, so i really hope she has the strength and body-fat to makes it through this.

>She's started the develop dark brown/black bits around her back legs. I'm not sure if this is fungus or natural colour change. it does look a bit like fungus (i.e. not smooth and 'skin-like') but i could be wrong. She is usually light pink (albino) all over. I really want to avoid a salt bath if possible; if it is fungus is it dangerous to leave it untreated?

> Is there anything else I need to do to assist her in the change? I read on this site that salamanders need soil to dig and hide in, I don't think Lucy is anywhere near this stage and the vet didn't mention anything like this.

Also i know that axolotls quite often don't survive this change, and that it can be quite traumatic for them. Are there any signs that I should look out for that indicates that she's in pain and not going to make it to a slamander? I don't want to her to suffer anymore than she has to.

I'd appreciate any advice - i really want to make sure she's happy and ok
thanks muchly!

p.s. - ill try and get some photos up as soon as i can, but any advice in the meantime would be great

Hi Lucy,

Coincidentally, only quite recently, i was also quite concerned with my own axolotl about the exact same problem.

Inappetance/anorexia is definitely a sign indicating a possible metamorphosis. Many axolotls would go on a stint of inappetance during the process of morphing.

Setting up a half aquatic half terrestrial tank provides somewhat a security blanket in the event that the axolotl morphs. However, i would not use gravel as the risk of impaction still exists. You should also continue to ensure a clean environment, including water quality in the half aquatic tank. Also ensure that the water level is sufficient.

I have also recently just learnt from John, that at least in tiger salamanders, it takes between 2 to 10 days for the metamorphosis. I would extrapolate this information as a rough estimate for the axolotl. The process cannot be stopped (regardless of how you change its environment), however it can be slowed down by reducing the temperature.

As for the black 'spots''. Only a photograph can give a clearer picture. I would highly doubt its fungus as fungus tends to take on the appearance of a cottony mass or discoloured white/grey patches. If the black spots you see occur only on all the toe tips, it is a natural and normal indicator of maturity.

There are many fantastic semi-terrestial tank setups here which i would recommend you do a forum/gallery search on. They would give an idea of what type of soil/peat etc to use.

By voicing your concerns here, you are already demonstrating that you are taking every step to care for your axolotl. Although their lifespan may be shortened after the morph, it is really the quality of life that ultimately matters. Provide it the best you can when it morphs, and you are already being responsible.

Cheers

Hi Lucy,

it takes between 2 to 10 days for the metamorphosis.

Really? Im not sure what my axolotl is doing then??? haha

he has been morphing for well over two weeks with slow but noticable changes...

i just got him a new water / land set up for him seams how he loves walking on the table haha

Hi Broadbent,

According to John, metamorphosis in tiger salamanders (a close relative to the axolotl) take about 2-10 days. I would think it would be somewhat similar in axolotls. Perhaps you have kept the axolotl in a cooler environment that is slowing down this process. Alternatively, it may be that your axolotl isn't really morphing but looks different due to poor husbandry, water conditions etc in the past. I have an axolotl that i suspected is morphing (check out apollo in my gallery). It appears that he is just .. different in appearance due to his sad childhood in a horrid pet shop.

Cheers

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back