Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Some Bolitoglossa IDs from Honduras needed

asnyder

Reaction score
Hello all this is my first post here at caudata.org. This past summer I went to Cusuco National Park in Honduras with Operation Wallacea to be a research assistant to the herpetological studies. I will be returning this coming summer for two months to conduct my own herpetological surveys so I can't wait to see what I can find. I know that many of the patterns are highly variable and my guides by McCranie and Wilson do not show some of the species variations that I encountered. I would love if some of you could assist. Sorry for the large pics. Sorry that some of them have debris on them. I guess out of my excitement for finding something new I didn't really stop to think about making a great photo, which is certainly going to be different next summer.
3003966585_b94e1d586c_b.jpg

2. Bolitoglossa rufescens?
3147218549_5eaa1d4a63_b.jpg

3.Bolitoglossa porrasorum?
3172165631_319d4f0323_b.jpg

3175482846_3ee8fccee2_b.jpg

slowfoot

Reaction score
I have to say that I'm useless for IDs on this group, but... their little feet are adorable! I had no idea they looked like little alien suckers.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I think your best bet would be to contact Russ Cormack or Dick Bartlett. I think those two are probably the best shot at IDing Bolitoglossids. They're pretty uncommon, but very cool.

rust

Reaction score
Out of my league, I wish I was well versed in them. Mr. Bartlett may be able to send you down the right path.

taherman

Caudata.org Donor
Reaction score
Hi Andy, I missed you at AB(C)M. Hope you had a good visit.

I would try the good Drs. Pappenfuss and Wake. Gabriela Parra-Olea is another possibility, though I'm not sure how much she's done with Honduran species.

Good luck!
-Tim

asnyder

Reaction score
Hi Andy, I missed you at AB(C)M. Hope you had a good visit.

I would try the good Drs. Pappenfuss and Wake. Gabriela Parra-Olea is another possibility, though I'm not sure how much she's done with Honduran species.

Good luck!
-Tim

I'm sorry, what is AB(C)M?

I am going to be forwarding all of my photos to Dick Bartlett and I figure it only makes sense to send them to James McCranie and Larry David Wilson as they are considered the leading experts on Honduran species. Figure I will be finding plenty of Bolitoglossas next summer and would like to be able to ID them as well as possible on the spot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1